Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(09-07-2016, 03:26 PM)JaM Wrote:
Quote:We have already told you that we have practiced stabbing in panoply with overhand, but you wish not to hear it.

I'm looking for more "scientific" approach, with controlled group, striking target, and measuring how long they could perform such thing while in formation. That is what C.Matthew had in his book, and i think that part is one of the most significant out of all things in his book. Because, if he is right, and you cant strike the enemy like this for more than few minutes, while having muscle spasms even 30 minutes after they stopped, then i cant possibly imagine how would they do this for hours in battle..

and i'm not talking about just hitting the thin air, but actually thrusting into some solid object, to be under full stress from making the impact, and performing the full movement while keeping the spear overarm.

And again, as i said before, im not interested into defending some theory to the last breath.. im interested in finding what was most probable tactics used by hoplites.. combat fatigue is very important matter.

We are back to black swans, because I have told you I can strike at a swinging ball overhand for quite a while, at least a half hour, without suffering some sort of arm failure.  His tests are worthless if his grip was wrong and his men were holding the spear up in the air.  His data is useless.  Useless that is, for anything except pushing an agenda from a preconceived notion.

Bye the way, with a real spear, when you hit a solid object you get stuck. You then have to stop and work the blade out, so this is not a good way to test for stamina.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 09-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,920 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno