Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(09-07-2016, 08:52 AM)JaM Wrote: i know that Paul, my point is that with underarm, even at maximum reach, you keep firm grip, and actual attack is not weaker. You can still deliver decent hits that way, while having advantage of extended reach, which is impossible with overarm, as you said - due to very weak grip and very weak strike force.

underarm in that situation gives you about 2.2-2.5m reach (extended arm, sauroter behind the elbow), where overarm gives you 1.5m at best.

I don't know now if you are just being obstinate, or if something is still unclear.  In the gifs you can easily see that when my arm is extended forward it can be parallel to the ground at maximum reach. If the shaft is gripped at the same place( as you see in the video I am holding it whereMathew does) and in both cases the arm in parallel to the ground, then you have EXACTLY the SAME reach!

Your comparative reach measurements are just made up.  I showed you actual measurements where even before the spear is fully extended the reach difference was slight. Your description of maximum reach and the ability to hold the shaft tight is only important if you are NOT moving the shaft. Id the shaft is actively propelled forward, then overhand has the same reach. It just can't hold it there- which would be stupid anyway.

As for the strike being weak, I and at least three published papers have now told you it is not and I have told you what Mathew obviously did wrong in using an icepick like strike.  All of these are facts.  I think you simply have a view in mind and refuse to face facts.  If those gifs don't convince you that mthews used the wrong overhand strike, I got nothing else.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 09-07-2016, 02:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,920 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno