Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-25-2016, 05:19 PM)JaM Wrote: not really, its not about optimum trajectory, otherwise javelins would be released at 45 degrees, and best javelin throwers used 30-35degrees, while others are not exceeding 40 degrees. its about angle of attack, body position at the release (hips) etc and the bio mechanics of the body. But important thing is to keep the arm at the javelins point of balance at the release, so practically ankyle allows to stay connected with the javelin longer (and by modern tests increases the range by 15-35%, so ranges around or over 60m would be possible). But yes, i made one logical mistake here, as javelin throw is different from the spear thrust, body position is different, you tend to place arm way back and in angle to optimize the speed of release, something you wouldn't do while thrusting.

With thrusting i think it would be much more important to keep the link with the point of balance, otherwise weight of the rear would counter some energy downwards, reducing your effective impact energy, so no holding the spear in the middle with a spear weighted with a sauroter..

Anyway, i think it wouldn't be a bad idea to determine when weighted spears with sauroters started to appear.. if I remember correctly, Carthaginians used very small ones with their spears, so they could use them as throwing and thrusting weapons (would also explain why they were shorter than Roman Hastae)

You misunderstand.  What you are describing is in fact proving my point.  The optimum angle ballistically is 45 degrees from the ground.  Javelin throwers do not release at 45 degrees, they hold onto the javelin longer, until they are 35-40 degrees.  That is degrees from the ground, hence they are not releasing it early, but holding it longer.  They do this because their arm is still accelerating the javelin as it rotates past the 45 degree point- no slow down.  The reason they  let go at 35-40 degrees is that even though the javelin would in fact be going faster at 20 degrees because of continued acceleration is that the trajectory would be so low that gravity pulls the javelin to the ground before I can go as far as the other throws.

You keep bringing up a downwards strike.  There is no downward trajectory, the spear is thrust straight out parallel to the ground at full extension.  It can even be angled up.  If you can't do this you are doing an ice-pick strike like Mathew did, which is weak.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,918 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno