Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
no, but it shows you how useful reach is. If you held the spear in the middle like you suggest, you would have quite a disadvantage to somebody with a weighted spear who would use it from the back (and it would not matter if overarm or underarm)

Paul, i posted that picture again not because of the spacing, but because of the grip position (im using those pictures to show specific things, and from that side picture, its actually impossible to tell how close together they actually are, only how far the second rank is).  btw, on that vase, isnt that grip a bit unnatural for such position? i tried it and it kinda feels quite awkward.

Quote:With your last argument, you are making exactly the same mistake that Mathew made.  If you hold onto the shaft as tight as possible with all your fingers, what I describe as an "Ice pick" strike in the book, then yes the spear cannot be extended straight out or upwards.  But you don't do this.  Instead you let your pinky come off the back and the spear stays on a flat trajectory.  The grip is quite secure with just your first 2 or 3 fingers holding it.  The strike is so much faster/stronger than underhand, that any loss of linkage, i.e. if you don't keep pushing after it hits, is irrelevant.  In all but game situations, you don't push with a weapon, you strike with it.  He was playing a game so this was not so important.

and thats why i think main problem is that everybody is using different techniques when comparing.. he used incorrect one with overarm. Yet that doesnt make his underarm technique wrong..
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-24-2016, 04:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,920 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno