Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-24-2016, 02:27 PM)JaM Wrote: [Image: 9p19.jpg]

why would this be impossible in a formation?  Only issue I see is the fact they are way too close on each other, 45cm is way too small distance, 60cm would be probably much more serviceable and you would not even hit guy behind shield that way..

Also, when Paul gets here, i would like him to explain what did Matthew wrong during spear positioning into ready position with overarm (moving from vertical to horizontal in formation):

with the overarm (besides the obvious weight of sauroter issue, as he is holding it a bit more forward, but thats on all three grips) ending point is quite down below, as your own palm would practically force it down if thumb aims back.

This will have to be my last post on this thread if I can't get you to agree with a couple points of reality- not opinion, but simple physical reality.  In the image above, no hoplite is formed in anything approaching a 45cm spacing.  They barely have their aspides overlapped, which means more like 75cm at the tightest.  Another example of how he simply lied in the book.  I had hoped that when I presented to you the number of times things were misrepresented, or how regardless of low energy values, the fact that he did not cite Connolly, some doubt might creep in. 

All of Connolly's values were low.  This is because his test subjects were not so big and strong.  What is important is the RELATIVE strike force.  They are equally weak on all the strikes.

As to his readying for the overarm position.  Its all fine.  Those are great ways to get a spear from underhand to overhand.  But I don't believe hoplites ever had to do this.  The marched into battle with the thumb already facing downwards on the shaft.  See image attached.

With your last argument, you are making exactly the same mistake that Mathew made.  If you hold onto the shaft as tight as possible with all your fingers, what I describe as an "Ice pick" strike in the book, then yes the spear cannot be extended straight out or upwards.  But you don't do this.  Instead you let your pinky come off the back and the spear stays on a flat trajectory.  The grip is quite secure with just your first 2 or 3 fingers holding it.  The strike is so much faster/stronger than underhand, that any loss of linkage, i.e. if you don't keep pushing after it hits, is irrelevant.  In all but game situations, you don't push with a weapon, you strike with it.  He was playing a game so this was not so important.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-24-2016, 04:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,918 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno