Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
The first picture has two faults. First, it is static. As long as I am static I can put my sauroter in the eyeslit of my buddy's helmet and take a picture, no problem. Things change when you have to move violently.
Second fault is that they are using unnanutally rear weighted spears. I believe they are using MI's older version of sauroters which were solid. Rear sauroters, even the largest type, because as we said there are many types of sauroters, were hollow all the way until 4cm from the tip, and very thin, as little as 1mm at places. I know because I actually own one of those sauroters. If you are in doubt, ask them!

I see nothing wrong with the speca between the ranks, only in battle they would often get more compressed. At times the second ranker would take a step forward for better reach ans at times the front ranker would take a step back, if overwhelmed by the enemy. And of course there would be occasions of othismos, where this underhand grip is both unuseful and dangerous.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,918 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno