Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
values for energy are a bit low..  If the spear is 1.3kg heavy, and you give it 5.8m/s it will generate 21 joules (to get to 35J you need a spear 2.1kg heavy which is a bit too much).
Plus, speeds for underarm are way too low. seen other tests where speed was double the values in that table, so i would guess the technique they used was not right.  and thats the problem with all this.. usually people want to disprove the other theory, but they don't use the right technique to prove their point.. look at boxers or martial artists how they perform forward punch, its exactly the same trajectory as with underarm thrusts, and they can generate an insane amount of energy and speed.

btw, what DOP should represent in first table?

Quote:Bryan wrote: Choice A. Come to RAT and explore it and discuss Roman and Greek topics with some of the most educated and up to date historians on the subject (not me mind you, I just regurgitate things they say for the most part). 

Choice B. Go on Youtube and watch the videos of an entertainer who generalizes historical subjects he isn't really qualified to discuss. 

One of these is a poor choice to learn about history.

Funny how these arguments swapped isn't it? I told you almost the same thing when you came with Thrand video..

edit:

did what you said, took a stick, weighted on the back and tried to thrust with it extensively against a solid object. Thing is, i did feel far more fatigue overarm, specifically on my triceps (i was hitting hard object, not just thrusting into empty space), while underarm (at the shoulder height) it was not that big problem, but also after some time i mostly felt my pectorals and my back. i don't have the means to measure speed, yet i felt far better thrusting underarm than overarm. Tried the Thrand technique as well, but with weight in the back, its very problematic to do it the way he does. (turning to point heavy makes it easy though)

But of course, i don't claim this to be decisive proof or anything, as I said, for that, it would be important to get skilled guy with a historically accurate equipment and then do the measuring. (no disrespect, but neither you or Matthew (or me for that matter)are example of an athletic soldier, so any testing result wont be optimal in any way.)
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-24-2016, 09:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,918 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno