Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
but that will only work for you if you are in a front row, with the second row, your spear would have to go over the guy in front of you, and the trajectory you are making would collide with him. (or you would have to be in an staggered formation, not the line formation)

plus, your arm is up at the start, presenting nice target - your armpit, area enemy would definitely want to exploit (not necessarily the one in front of you, but guys from sides. plus, to me it looks like you need to do quite a lot of movements with your arm this way.

Anyway, if you are comfortable with it, that's fine. what interests me most would be how it would compare in all those areas i mentioned before. and at the same time, what would be the accuracy, or ability to parry, or prevent enemy from parrying your spear sideways (not really something you want to be blocking with your wrist) Because the main problem is to find out the most efficient way how to use the spear (as Dan said, not necessarily the one that gives you the strongest blow) within the formation.

Bryan:

With underarm you do the twisting move which is perfectly natural for the forearm. while rising the spear with the wrist with the thumb pointing back is not very natural, and has its limits.

and btw, yes, i seen that video, was watching all his videos recently. yet must say that he does the underarm trusts much less seriously than he does his slides or anything else. at least that was my observation from it.

and on a side note, what i mentioned before, i kinda see the Macedonian phalanx to be an evolution of the hoplite phalanx and not a new concept.. yes, spear got longer, but overall concept to keep enemy at bay was same. Yet, if overarm was the main use of the spear, i would imagine Macedonians to be also trying to hold pikes in similar fashion, so they would be more inclined to come with a grip very similar to the one Pike and Shot era Pikemen used, but instead, they are shown with the underam low grip with it.. why would they go and come with such a completely different fighting style?
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,920 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno