Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
but you dont need to do it over a whole line... even a local feint would force part of enemy line to fell... and that would be enough... and of course you can do it, you just need coordination which should be not that big problem anyway.. I'm not talking about 50 vs 50 formation with one side feinting.. im talking about let say 4rank vs 8rank with those 4 ranks feinting, let say on the far right side... its a common tactics even in today's sports so i dont see why it would not be possible back then.

Must say, i dont believe in pushing matches same way as i dont believe in a constant combat.. people are not machines, they are not able to fight constantly for long time.. once fatigue kicks in, morale drops.. in such state, you really dont want to be pushed by somebody towards danger no matter if its by one step or two.. Thats why im strong believer in A Zhmodikov work regarding luls on battlefield, and constant use of missile weapons by Roman Legionaries, and that's why i really dont see how that pushing could work, even after the initial clash with spears.. it sounds way too dangerous (for both sides) and completely prevents one side from routing... which might be quite counterproductive, because routing enemy is much easier wiped out than enemy that is "pushed into corner"

yet, im just trying to give points against this theory. Both Matthew and Lindybeige gave valid points i didnt see anybody "debunked"... but yes, i will read Paul's book when available and then will give my feedback.

about Thureos - that it came from Gallic invasion is just one theory.. at the same time, Pyrrhos was fighting Romans and had a lot of Italians in his army as well... he returned home and brought some of them back, to fight his wars in Greece.. he wanted Macedonic throne, because he believed he has a claim on it. and who knows what would happen if he was not killed during that siege... Besides, seen some arguments that Thureos/ Scutum was Italic design altogether and Celts actually adopted it from them. (but that's for a different thread i suppose)
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-22-2016, 05:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,920 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno