Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
"and im surprised so many people are arguing about it, and nobody actually cared to try it with real replica to hit something... if Chris was wrong, then it would be very simple to disprove what he wrote, yet, his tests are valid."

Many have. I dismantle his misleading notions in my forthcoming book, but suffice to say that he was testing a very odd and stilted version of the overhand grip. I know of 4 studies now, and my own work that have looked at strike force, and only his show underhand even close to as powerful as overhand. Not sure why he does not know how to strike overhand, but more troubling was his attempt to simply dismiss prior work (strong strikes must have been thrown he writes) or not reference it.

His frontage and spacing comes from Hellenistic manuals and is anachronistic for hoplites- no hoplite ever formed a line of overlapping aspides at 45cm. Good luck trying it.

He is also quite wrong in his objection to othismos. We generated close to half a ton of force with 10 man files and the aspides did not buckle, nor the men suffocate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-22-2016, 02:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 46,417 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno