Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
If you were fighting in Matthew's undergripped medium guard there would be nothing to stop your adversary from closing the distance. Your spear point against his shield is not going to stop is forward momentum, all your opponent would need to do is tilt the shield (like this or like this) and your own spear point would sail over or to the side, meaning your opponent would have passed your point, nullifying the threat of your weapon. 

Also, take a look at the altered illustration you made, which does a lot to prove the angle issue I'm trying to demonstrate. For Hoplite E. to actually hit the top of Hoplite F.'s head he needs to jump or levitate. Because if is spear is held at shoulder height (as Matthew's pictures demonstrates, he can't it anything above the shield rim (held at minimum of shoulder height) on Hoplite F. Again, its about the angles and distances. 

Check out this historical interpretation of hoplite battle. Looks a whole lot like my A-B and C-D illustrations...

[Image: 7034c5ec5a06b48e7566fab923816234.jpg]

Lastly, hoplites didn't carry daggers, they carried swords of varying length, only the Spartans known for possibly (no guarantee though) carrying short swords. If you're going to debate fighting techniques you need to keep it in the realm of reality. Or else I'd counter that the best way hoplite can win a fight is to drop their dory and use an AK47.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Bryan - 08-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,921 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno