Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
in E-F:

Why would I allow you to get that close??? I could easily just push my spear against your shield, and you would not get a step closer (spear is in full control entire time, even if my spear got over your shield i would just withdraw it back and thrust again..) besides, its formation against formation, and there is another line of spears 50cm behind, so even if my spear broke, second rank would keep you at bay...  Pushing spears against shields... that how Phalangites tried to fix Roman Legionaries at bay with their sarrissas, it would quite well work with Hoplite phalanx as well.. 

[Image: oUSNYG.jpg]

Regarding AB, CD, sorry but to me it just looks even more strange to bring such a long weapon into such a close distance fight... shorter weapon would be much more useful.. and with shields against each other, with another man few centimeters away, actual dagger would be most effective.. not a dory.

Besides, with the strapped aspis, 50% of the shield is actually protecting guy standing next to you, while only second half is covering you, so your spear is at the place where shields are touching, so no need to go over highest position.
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,921 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno