Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
yeah, only problem with this is, nobody is standing behind them... and if there was another line, and you are holding a real dory instead of a broomstick, its length would project way beyond that rank, so your spear would endanger at least two- three ranks behind you.. and you still need a space to even get the spear from vertical position into horizontal.. with another man shield behind you just 3ft, it would be completely impossible to get the spear into position.. and once combat starts and men are tighter together, you would be unable to put the spear back into vertical position let say to rest your arm from blood loss fatigue...

i saw that video some time ago and even left a comment there (signed by my name..)

whole idea that 3m long spear would be held in the middle is very strange to me... especially, when center of balance of those spears was actually in the back, so if you held it in the middle, your spearpoint would not point down but up....

and i can quote Chris Matthew book where he actually had some guys using full panoply, just to feel muscle spasms and arm fatigue just after 5 minutes of simulated combat with overarm grip, while being completely incapacitated and unable to keep arms like this for much longer... Really doubt anybody would use such an awkward way of attacking, which actually only gives you problems - removes you huge amount of standoff that long spear provides, tires your men down in extremely fast fashion, and you are even unable to place the spear in that position within tight formation you are supposed to be in while using it...

[Image: 5i61.png]
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks - by JaM - 08-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,918 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno