Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roman Legionary fortress conference
This event in Manchester should be of interest

Producing for the Legion or Production by the Legion?
 [Image: Inchtuthilfortresssmall-1-300x214.png]
A Day Conference on Saturday, 24 September, 2016 Cross Street Chapel, Cross Street, Manchester
Roman legionary fortresses and their surrounding civilian towns were huge centres of trade and production for their provinces. But who was producing and for whom? Were the civilian towns just service providers for the legions or were the legions tapping into a “manufacturing base” that was developing amongst the civilians? On the other hand, was legionary production limited to the area inside the fortress defences or was the legion using space out in the civilian settlements or beyond producing for its own needs?
Preliminary Programme
10.30 Arrival and Registration
11.00 B. Hoffmann, Introduction
11.30 Peter Carrington (Chester), Chester: dispersed production and consumption?
12.00 John Salvatore, A distribution centre? The mid-1st century Roman military supply base at St Loye’s,
Exeter
12.30 David Woolliscroft (Roman Gask Project), “Geophysical/fieldwalking survey at Inchtuthil fortress and the evidence for production and market activity”
13.00-13.45 Lunch
13.45-1415 Orsolya Lang (Aquincum, MAG), “New customers in sight? New data on glue and leather production in the Aquincum civil town”
14.15- 14.45 Birgitta Hoffmann (Roman Gask Project), “Sourcing manufactured supplies for the Rhine legions”.
14.45-15.15 Patrick Ottaway (York) ‘A northern powerhouse?’ Archaeological evidence for manufacturing by the Roman legions at Eboracum (Roman York).
14.15- 15.40 Coffee
15.40-16.10 Paul Franzen (Nijmegen, NL), In search of a most logical element of a Roman fortress on the frontier: where is the harbour?
16.10-16.40 Stefanie Hoss (Nijmegen, NL), ‘The making of…. military equipment. Different production systems: many questions and some answers”
16.40-17.10 Sue Stallibrass, “Livestock for the legions: questions of scale and timing”
17.10 -17.30 Conclusions and Farewell
How to Book
Please fill out the bookingslip of the Conference Flyer and send it with a cheque for GBP35 to the organizer: Birgitta Hoffmann, MANCENT Conference 2016, 55 Broadwalk, Wilmslwo, Cheshire, SK9 5PL
Conference Flyer as downloadable pdf: RomanLegion flyer2-2
Alternatively you can book going to the Eventbrite page (GBP35+GBP2.95 booking fee).
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/producing...47?aff=es2
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks for the info
Definite very interesting, I think that this is one of the points where were not very clear, the title says lots and looks to be honored by the topics.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Very Interesting is there likely to be a monograph from the conference? some of this interests me so would certainly be on my to buy list.... unfortunatly no chance of being there...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867