Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new book
Hi All,

Just a bit of shameless self- promotion my new book The Emperor and the Army in The Later Roman Empire will be available in January - you can pre-order it here.

https://www.routledge.com/The-Emperor-an...1472457592.

Hopefully it will be of interest to some people here.
(08-14-2016, 02:16 AM)markhebb Wrote: Hopefully it will be of interest to some people here.

It certainly is! Glad you've got a publication date, and I look forward to reading it  [Image: smile.png]
Nathan Ross
Agreed!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Looks interesting but is that really the price?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(08-14-2016, 06:40 AM)Renatus Wrote: Looks interesting but is that really the price?

Yeah - unfortunately academic books in general are expensive because of small print runs.....I'm hopeful libraries will pick it up as it is expensive....
Mark,

I had already picked it up from Amazon and will certainly be purchasing on publication.  It looks fascinating.  I guess like Stella Artois, it is "reassuringly expensive"!

It is published by Routledge, so I hope they stick to their publishing schedule - I am still forlornly awaiting various interesting looking titles in their "Warfare & History" series which seem to have been delayed for years, and that last volume in their "History of the Ancient World" on the Roman republic by Bispham stubbornly refuses to appear (latest date on Amazon is mid-2017).

Best of luck with the book.

John
(08-14-2016, 10:07 AM)LJohn W Davison Wrote: Mark,

I had already picked it up from Amazon and will certainly be purchasing on publication.  It looks fascinating.  I guess like Stella Artois, it is "reassuringly expensive"!

It is published by Routledge, so I hope they stick to their publishing schedule - I am still forlornly awaiting various interesting looking titles in their "Warfare & History" series which seem to have been delayed for years, and that last volume in their "History of the Ancient World" on the Roman republic by Bispham stubbornly refuses to appear (latest date on Amazon is mid-2017).

Best of luck with the book.

John

John- it's all systems go. Final proofs will be done in October- I'm pretty sure we'll hit the date- fingers crossed!
Excellent news!

Yes, a publication date of January is more than feasible from my experience.

As to price.... I fear I will have to wait to see if Amazon gives a bit of a price reduction as £95 is too frightening to run past 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'!!! (And I do understand why the price tag, books of this nature rarely sell more than one or two thousand copies at most).
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Yeah, McEvoy's book on Child Emperor Rule is like the same, so are most other books like this.

Looks fascinating! Best of luck!
Looking forward to the reviews!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(08-18-2016, 02:25 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Looking forward to the reviews!

I'm scared of the reviews  Big Grin....
(08-19-2016, 09:37 AM)markhebb Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 02:25 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Looking forward to the reviews!

I'm scared of the reviews  Big Grin....

I'll be gentle, I promise.. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Beware of a reviewer on Amazon who goes by the initials JPS, man he is harsh! If you get three stars from him that's considered a glowing endorsement!!!

He appears to be particularly harsh towards what he considers amateur historians.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Hi Guys- just a quick update- the book comes out next week.Hideously expensive but if anyone feels like getting their local library to purchase a copy go right ahead.... Big Grin
Blimey, I see the price has shot up to £105!

A bit beyond my range at the moment, but I am sure Oxbow may reduce the price of any they might have in the future.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar