Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Legions: boys with an attitude
Letter from a Marcus Flavinius, centurion in the 2nd Cohort of the Augusta Legion (probably IIIrd Augusta, based in Lambesis, todays Algeria) to his cousin Tertullus in Rome:<br>
"Make haste to reassure me, I beg you, and tell me that our fellow citizens understand us, support us and protect us as we ourselves are protecting the glory of the Empire.<br>
<b> "If it should be otherwise, if we should have to leave our bleached bones on these desert sands in vain, then beware of the anger of the legions!"</b><br>
I wonder if someone knows the context in which that letter was written. It seems to imply there was some opposition in Rome about something the legion was doing then.<br>
The reference to bleached bones makes me think about an expedition of some kind.<br>
But anyways, these were boys with an attitude, no doubt about it.. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 3/28/02 6:30:46 pm<br></i>
Since Legio III Augusta was mainly sitting on their hands in the North-African sun, this letter might - but it's a wild guess - belong to 238 when this legion was involved with the Gordians and their struggle against Maximinus Thrax. After this the legion was disbanded, only to be reinstated in 253.<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 3/28/02 6:52:21 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
You're right, that figures. "The glory of the Empire" could pretty well describe Maximinus' military efforts and the tone of the letter could reflect massive rejection of his policies by the Italians. <p></p><i></i>
Apart from the issue of the historical setting this passage sounds to me like the usual lack of communication between a professional military man and a civilian. Interesting.<br>
<br>
ciao <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
That reminds me of this ancient text about civilian's feet squashed by the soldiers' hobnailed caligae, or beaten up..<br>
Until quite recently the military were generally speaking boys with an attitude..<br>
Reminds me of a report still in the archives in France regarding an incident with three napoleonic hussards. Those brave soldiers, most probably drunk out of their skulls threw a citizen into the Seine river from a bridge "for the motive that he had given them a side look".<br>
Punishment: three weeks suspension of pay...E EM<br>
It is not known whether the citizen survived the plunge... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 4/4/02 3:58:00 pm<br></i>