Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman sails: leather, linen, or?
(08-06-2016, 12:02 AM)richsc Wrote: In this 3D animated recreation of a 900 AD Danish town, the narrator makes passing reference to 'woolen sails'

http://thedockyards.com/3d-animation-tisso-viking-age/

I have a printed report done for a Danish Museum on the Oseberg tents, which seems to suggest both Linen and wool "Canvas" was used for the tents/sails..... though I cant make out if it means different fibres in the warp and weft or different types of cloth/canvas, there appears to be substantial cloth remains from that particular ship much of which is unpublished.... my understanding of danish though is minimal...

I dont necesarily see a problem with aluta as long as it isnt submerged in water for any period of time, the same goes for similar preserving methods, leather/skin has been used for boats and walrus hide for ships ropes during the early medieval era and later and there are plenty of examples of leather tents during the Roman era and this could easily be used for sails, though its not proof of course....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Roman sails: leather, linen, or? - by richsc - 08-01-2016, 11:02 AM
RE: Roman sails: leather, linen, or? - by richsc - 08-06-2016, 12:02 AM
RE: Roman sails: leather, linen, or? - by Crispianus - 08-06-2016, 08:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weight of linen & leather breast plates Lorenzo 2 715 06-03-2020, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Lorenzo
  Arrows Against Linen and Leather Armour Steven James 1 1,844 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Last Post: MonsGraupius