Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army School, Durham, 2017
This is to give advance notice of next year's Roman Army School. It will be held at St. Chad's College, Durham, between Saturday 25th and Tuesday 28th March 2017. The theme will be Roman frontiers and will focus on how Roman frontiers worked. This will involve examination of different frontiers, the building of frontiers and control and pressures in the frontier zone. Speakers will include David Breeze, Richard Bridgland, Peter Hill, Adrian Goldsworthy, Valerie Maxfield, Boris Rankov and Andreas Thiel. There will be an excursion on the Saturday to Housesteads and Cawfields to examine the evidence for the building of Hadrian's Wall. This is actually part of the Hadrianic Society's reunion weekend but those attending the Roman Army School are welcome to join in. I will post further details as they become available.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks, Michael. I will mark this in the diary.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
More details of the 2017 Roman Army School are now available. I attach links to the handbill for the School and the provisional programme. Booking forms and information for those attending can be found on the Hadrianic Society website (http://www.hadrianicsociety.com).

.pdf   RAS Handbill 2017.pdf (Size: 118.9 KB / Downloads: 8)

.pdf   RAS Provisional Programme 2017.pdf (Size: 39.67 KB / Downloads: 13)
Michael King Macdona

That will be really interesting. A pity I can't be there. Because if I do, probably my wife will put me into a spiked barrel and sent me downhill. But I have found a very interesting team that I'll meet in the next months: Trebuchet Park.

Non une die Roma aedificata est
Maybe, if you behave yourself, your wife will let you come in 2018. New blood is always welcome.
Michael King Macdona

Jajajaja I'll do my best. I'll train my children with the sword through the year to come, just to check if they ask for that trip!

In the meantime I have something a bit closer, just to warm myseltf up.

Cheers!

Non une die Roma aedificata est

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2024 Renatus 0 236 11-18-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2023 Renatus 1 501 12-28-2022, 08:12 AM
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2020 Renatus 1 7,623 01-10-2020, 05:36 PM