Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repairing a bow method may be useful on Swords ect
One of our recurve bows  had a bad break across the knock so I replaced the lim. I used a fishing ring binding method to finish the repair so I have done photos to show. The same method I use to bind Scabbard slides to the scabbard so I thought to share so you can use it on anything that needs a strong tight hold using twine. I will post photos after I have done my posting to Segedunum Smile
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Make sure someone else uses that bow!
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"
Well Fabricivs the members when I showed them the bow went WOW better than the origonal we cannot wait to see YOU try it out Tongue Wink  Smile so it looks like Hardwick Park Sedgefield ( advance warning here ) next weekend will be the test  Cool good job we have a brillant medical wing in the group Confused Smile  Well of to Segedunum had a great day yesterday, the public were great  and the staff very helpful as ever so had a really good event and the Sun was shining  Cool
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Sedgefield next weekend then, hope it isn't raining.
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"
I have been PMd as how too do this so I will share the method. I made a new Lim fo the bow from Ash,

I selected a 6 ply linen thread to do the binding approx 25m long

You need to cut a length of to form a loop this will be used to pull the end of the thread back through the binding,

Start the binding of by leaving a piece of thread up the length of the object to bind and start to wind round and on top of the loose piece of thread, it is better if you wind the twine around a stick to help pull it tight,

Once you have started after a few turns you can add the loop keep the tails at the bottom and the loop to the top for when you finish wrapping. Make sure you have plenty spare twine for the tails and the loop,

When you finish the wrapping cut off and put through the loop with enough to hold on too to keep the tension,

Pull on the tails until the twine starts going under the binding and pull through until the end comes through where you started the loop of twine from,

I repeated the process until I had a good strong coverage, and this is the result it was then sealed with lacquer

But this is what it can be used for scabbard slides and anything that needs a good tight binding,

I hope you can follow this how too with photos is of help  Smile Are yes Fabricivs we got a very good soaking the last time at Sedgefield so hope the Gods will shine down on us this time Angel
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
How did you attach the new limb - I see a screw? Won't that split the bow?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well Robert I told the group I would have a go as how it was attached revealed itself once I took the binding off it had a screw under the glue which to my surprise  came out very easily. I then removed as much glue as I could, then it came away quite easy the Lim. I cleaned of the remaining glue and made a copy of the Lim.  I then glued the new one in place and replaced the screw. I was a bit concerned, but the bow has fired a arrows for years now with no problem Smile  the binding in the most strained area is three layers thick. But as you can guess I am the crash dummy  to use it Undecided Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Reporting the crash test dummy survived  Smile the bow fired no problem I even hit the target Sleepy on the main display. So had a very good weekend  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Good stuff.
I was all set to come over but I had a clash.
I completely forgot it's the weekend of the Cleveland Model Railway Club annual exhibition in Redcar.
We had traders and layouts from all over the north east attending for two days.
Andy Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Repairing Pila mjsanta83 4 1,207 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Last Post: mjsanta83
  Repairing A Broken Arrow brennivs - tony drake 10 4,582 09-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Repairing a gallic I helmet Graff 8 2,217 12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius