Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Augustan officers and their commission
Someone just asked me a question about the Augustan army. This period is not my forte (as most of you know), so perhaps anyone here can provide an answer to this question:

Did Roman army officers serving in the upper ranks have to pay for their commissions (either officially or unofficially)?
This is in connection with a line in Tibullus where he says (using an apparently military metaphor) that his poverty will keep him from joining the army:
Me mea paupertas vita traducat inerti
(Elegies 1.1.5)
Any help you can give would be gratefully received!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Maybe not buy the commission but when you have it you need the money to support it.
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"
(07-28-2016, 02:50 PM)Fabricius Carbo Wrote: Maybe not buy the commission but when you have it you need the money to support it.

On FB RAT, someone already thought about that:
"No they did not. Upper officers, above the rank of Primus Pilus, were commissioned largely through the Cursus Honorum and were often Senator's sons. The leader of any Legion, the Legate was hand picked by Augustus when he was in full power, after his victory but also before. Read Cassius Dio on the Civil War. There are also many more contemporary and classical writings on the subject. That does of course not mean there was no bribery within the Senate or no favoritism, that has always existed. But buying a commission in a Legion was out of the question in general.

The idea that higher officers had to "maintain a lifestyle" is also invalid because these people were already rich. Apart from that their lodgings in Stationary Army Forts were paid by the State. On campaign they, just like every other soldier, slept in tents. Somewhat more luxurious perhaps for the higher officers but tents nonetheless."
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Tibullus would have been a member of the equestrian order, and his family were not senatorial, so any military commission would come about via interest and application, rather than the cursus honorum.

After Claudius we have the institution of the tres militiae for equestrian officers. Prefects and Tribunes were certainly paid, rather than having to pay - as Florus says in Vergilius Orator an Poeta, III.5 (discussed here)

Before Claudius, though, I think the situation is a lot less certain. Equestrian officer positions were quite sought-after (as we learn from the letters of Cicero and Pliny trying to get positions for their friends!), and if we can believe Juvenal there could be bribery involved too.

But even if the prefects and tribunes of the Augustan army were paid directly by the state (and Claudius's reforms probably just codified a pre-existing system) it's probably true that becoming an army officer was expensive: just as in armies until the 19th century, the new appointee would have to provide his own horses, weapons, armour and equipment, plus funds to travel to wherever his new unit was based (no viaticum for him!) , and the cost could be prohibitive.

Not all equestrians were 'cash rich', even if they made the wealth grade - I think Tibullus often complains of (relative) poverty!
Nathan Ross
There is another reason for poorer equestrians to not join the Tres Militia. It is no ongoing lifetime job. Most equestrians never made it beyond prefect. So their career ended after 3 years. Some had to wait for years in civil life until they got their next military job as tribune or whatever.

Therfore some equestrians prefered to start their career as centurio. Either because this was a well paid lifetime job and they needed a stable income, or because it was the true military career, as Pertinax said.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
(07-29-2016, 12:19 PM)Frank Wrote: Either because this was a well paid lifetime job and they needed a stable income, or because it was the true military career, as Pertinax said.

It sounds like the income was more important for Pertinax. Using the cursus publicus (illegally) to travel to Antioch suggests he was short of funds - the governor found out and made him walk the rest of the way on foot to join his cohort...
Nathan Ross
If I remember right, Pertinax just wanted to start as centurio ex equite romano. The chance to get to the highest ranks was not that different from the Tres Militia. But with a more stable and comparable income on the way. However, finally he had to accept to become a prefect, by whatever reasons.

And once you are an emperor, it is easy to tell stories Wink
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
(07-29-2016, 03:18 PM)Frank Wrote: If I remember right, Pertinax just wanted to start as centurio ex equite romano.

Yes, that's the impression I get too. As you say, a centurionate would be much more of a long-term career, but he had to take what was offered.
Nathan Ross
It still csn be expensive to be an officer, at least in the Brutish ArmyI if you are in a Household Cavelry or Guards Regiment and get above Captain.
All officers whatever the regiment have to buy their own uniforms (as do Navy and RAF officers). They are given an allowance for this but in certain regiments the cost can be a bit more than the allowance. There is a lot of ceremonial, dress and mess gear to buy and the best is bespoke tailored. Swords get handed down which helps otherwise it's a trip to Crisp and Sons or Pooleys for a new or refurbished one. Cavalry Officers need Helmets and Breastplates etc.
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"