Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
One thing though - Class I are not the richest guys out there.. Equestrians are. Per your numbers, there were around 12000 men in that group.

Class I to me looks more like today's Upper Middle class of people - well suited with good job, not millionaires but practically a backbone of a society and economy.. In Roman times these would be the families with good prosperous farms.. practically guys who could lose the most if something went wrong and enemies would plunder the countryside, so makes sense they would get involved a lot more, than those who have nothing to lose.. which would explain why Class I is as big as Class II,III and IV combined.

Yet, of course, it also makes sense for young guys from lowest social group to try to gain some renown, maybe even gain some wealth from loot, "to distinguish themselves in front of others".. these young guys would be then motivated to join as light infantry - as i recall these men even challenged enemy warriors to duels in front of the army - which is practically a good way how to get some personal loot i would assume..
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by JaM - 08-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,625 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,644 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis