Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
(08-08-2016, 05:13 PM)JaM Wrote: I've been around on this forum for years, and i'm long term member also at MyArmoury.com. yes, i don't post often here, but that has no impact on amount of knowledge person could have. And yes, I read through this forum a lot, i know who is who, i have bought and read several books on this topic, be it from Chris Mathew, Dan Howard, John Travis,Jeff Champion or even controversial work of Raffaelle D'Amatto or Peter Connoly, but also multiple unknown thesis on this topic, like for example from  Fernando Quesada Sanz about warfare in Spain, and plethora of others i got from academia.edu

When i posted here, i expected intelligent discussion where both sides  provide information that is backed by sources, or at least logically backed by own explanations. Definitely didn't expect somebody to dismiss another by the time he spent on this forum..

So, please, back your claims, post the quotes behind your claims. You didnt provided any so far, only your statements. (besides, comparing Roman society to Germanic or Dacian one, is a bit strange, as i mentioned before, for them going into battle naked was supposed to intimidate enemy, which kinda worked, if you read depictions of several Roman historians about battle of Telamon and fight against Gaesatae)

edit: just checked, and you joined july 2011, while i have registered here september 2012...

If you've spent time reading the board you don't need me to provide sources for the lack of armor, because those debates were done to death numerous times. Go read them again, because I'll just be regurgitating what others have already written about. Join date doesn't matter, post count doesn't matter. I'm not trying to start anything, I'm simply telling you straight out that the answers to your questions and the argument against much of what you have written has already been done by others, numerous times, many years ago. 

Here are some links to previous discussions which included hoplites fighting without armor, for further reading I recommend reading what PMBardunius has to say about the necessity of armor in hoplite warfare:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/archive...-7831.html
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/archive...944-1.html

Others, such as Dan Howard, have stated repeatedly that body armor was a rarity in the ancient period, when taking in all of the nations, not just the Greeks and Romans. And the modern consensus among many is that the Romans themselves differed greatly in what type of armor soldiers wore, and if some didn't have any (such as Caesar's antesignani, or the hastily raised legions through the Late Republic/ Civil War era).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by Bryan - 08-08-2016, 06:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,620 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,639 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis