Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
sorry, got busy so couldnt respond sooner -regarding price of armor, got it from several sources, mostly through secondary sources when working on some mods two years ago, if I manage to find those files i will share them here.

Regarding wealth, of course it was not in cash, and i know they didnt had to spend all money on their equipment (btw, it was 11.000 asses, not 1.100).. my premise is based more on the fact that people go to war, and wanna survive, therefore they would get the best equipment they could get, as they would not want to risk their lives unnecessarily. Also , even poor family would try to get armor for their son who is going into war to give him chance to survive. Plus, not all citizens enlisted every year, so even if one family had just one full panoply, it would be most likely used by the one who enlisted, no matter what age is he - again - even if he is 18 years old, they would want to give him chance to come back.. nobody would send his child to certain death.. (and another thing is, there were other forms of armor, not everything was as costly as Hamata.. Bronze Italic breastplates with side plates would be much cheaper than Musculata breastplate, and was much easier to fit to multiple people than Musculata which was most likely made for specific person)

But of course, it all depends on which era are we looking at... Census requirements were lowered few times, so citizens in 280BC could be better equipped than those who enlisted after Cannae when everybody was accepted..
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by JaM - 08-04-2016, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,620 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,639 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis