Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
technically speaking, with the fact that Census was lowered several times over time, it is quite safe to assume that actual Milites serving in Legions were becoming less and less well equipped over time.. If I remember right, at first it was at least 11000 asses to be eligible for service in legion, but then it lowered multiple times down, so eventually requirement was around 3000.. correct me if Im wrong, but price for Lorica Hamata or price of Bronze muscular cuirass at that time was something around 200 denarii (around 2000 asses).. pectorale would be much much cheaper.

Citizens with wealth greater than 400.000 sestertii(1 million asses) were allowed into Equites, so in Infantry service, we had citizens who's wealth was between 1 000.000 and 11000 asses..

So even the poorest of men who were allowed into legion, had wealth 5x more than a price of a Mail shirt, while there were young sons from well suited middle class families (with wealth well between those two numbers) who would have no problem to afford good armor for their family members...
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by JaM - 08-03-2016, 01:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,620 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,639 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis