Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nydam-Kragehul spatha from Nydam.
10-11 is the originals, where they did not cut back more, I don't even understand your reasoning. If I argue for 10-11 final length, why would you put words in my mouth that I argue for 9.5? Amazing. And 15 minus 1-1,5 is still 13,5-14, not 12-13.

But yes, I could even use a 9,5. I have another sword, with an 11 grip, and it is WAY too long in the pistol grip, at least a centimeter. I'm speaking from experience, I've handled (and still do) a roughly 12,5 spatha, and its WAY too long. I commissioned new hilt designs (shame they won't be finished this Summer), and seems like the 9 cm one is the one to go with.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Another thing you don't understand is material.

Good luck using sword with 10cm wooden handle. Nightmare to control. Extra weight is everything.
Damian
Another thing you don't understand is archaeological evidence.

Good luck using sword with 14cm wooden handle. Nightmare to control. Total control is everything.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Somehow it fits perfectly and I feel great control over it.

Evidence? Ok. Do you have mail or scale armor? If you do, does it fit person 165cm? Since Romans weren't tall. Probably not. Most likely it fits you. So if someone has 2m tall, should that person use shoes, pants and armor for 170cm? Becasue, you know, evidence. I don't think so.

If we have find of a helmet with, let's say, 53cm circuite, but you head is 60cm, you can't make that helmet becase find has 53cm? That's absurd.
Damian
Guys, come on! Damian made a very good sword, he does need some extra length to cut the tang down when he changes it and yes, it is logical to change replica's to fit modern day physical dimensions. But .... archeology answers only so many questions, the rest is learned in trying what works. Most grips are indeed oversized, as the persons making them do not understand the different needs in use. The smaller pommel in the earlier spatha allows for great rotation, a quality very usefull when swinging it downwards from horseback. I only fully understood the stricking power of a falcatta when I forged one to the correct dimensions and in a trail (forcefull) stroke actually split the piece of log I use to test structural integraty before moving on to the handle.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Gentlemen, please calm. There is room for both in this discussion. But, as I said last week, you are probably going to meet in person this week in Carnuntum. Please discuss this beautiful sword, test out the theories of you both, and report back to us!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Beautiful work on the scabbard.
But György's right, you're not holding it as it should be held.
"Romans" (whatever that means), may have been shorter but that sword is 5th century Danish and Scando-Germanic people at that time were, on average, only an inch or so shorter in overall height so there'd be barely any noticeable difference in hand size.

Now, I don't care, because it's a nice enough sword and a lovely scabbard but archaeological evidence is archaeological evidence.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I'm not sure why you talk about how to grab it since it's not the case here. I'm not holding here to fight, just let me I hold so I don't get this discussion.

Funny fact. My grip is one of th smallest in my group.

Ok, so if we have archeological evidence for a helmet 55cm but your head is 60cm, you can't make it cause of evidences? And all the same with other stuff.
Damian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scabbard from Nydam Damianus Albus 17 8,844 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Damianus Albus