Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman numerals - a million?
Roman knowledge of mathematics isn't my strong point, nor do I have textbooks on the subject.

Does anyone know if the Romans used/had a word or designation for 'million'?

Many thanks for any help.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
According to my aged Kennedy, a million is deciens centena milia, CCCCIƆƆƆƆ.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:CCCCIƆƆƆƆ

I'm pretty sure that's a shieldwall.^^
(06-30-2016, 04:49 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote:
Quote:CCCCIƆƆƆƆ

I'm pretty sure that's a shieldwall.^^

LOL yes! Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well i remembered reading something in Vitruvius De Arhitectura

2.6.9. Those who are accustomed to the names of so many winds, will perhaps be surprised at our division of them into eight only; but if they reflect that the circuit of the earth was ascertained by Eratosthenes of Cyrene, from mathematical calculations, founded on the sun's course, the shadow of an equinoctial gnomon, and the obliquity of the heavens, and was discovered to be equal to two hundred and fifty-two thousand stadia or thirty one millions and five hundred thousand paces,º an eighth part whereof, as occupied by each wind, being three millions nine hundred and thirty-seven thousand five hundred paces, their surprise will cease, because of the number of impediments and reverberations it must naturally be subject to in travelling though such varied space.
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...*.html#6.9

This would mean in latin:
Fortasse mirabuntur hi qui multa ventorum nomina noverunt, quod a nobis expositi sunt tantum octo esse venti. si autem animadverterint orbis terrae circumitionem per solis cursum et umbras gnomonis aequinoctiales et inclinationem caeli ab Eratosthene Cyrenae rationibus mathematicis et geometricis methodis esse inventam ducentorum quinquaginta duum milium stadium, quae fiunt passuum CCCXV milia, huius autem octava pars quam ventus tenere videtur est triciens nongenta triginta septem milia et passus quingenti, non debebunt mirari si in terram magno spatio unus ventus vagando inclinationibus et recessionibus varietates mutatione flatus faciat.
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/L/Ro...*.html#6.9

If you take my second link you will notice cccxv is overscored if i can say so and is multiplied by 1000.

I am in vacation now but after next week i will dig out some refs abiut the notations. If you look about abacus you will find info how the numbers were used but written are like Vitruvius in a text
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thanks, all!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Hmmm great question. However, I don't think they ever went that far into it. The Romans were great people but by no means any math experts like the ancient Egyptians.