Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax construction with alternative fabric
On another a forum we have been discussing this new work as it uses linen boiled/soaked in hot water and glue as a control item to compare to various types of hide armor.

https://www.sidestone.com/books/why-leather

Note the online book is free to read.

It is not clear if the authors glue the glue impregnated linen layers together or stitched them. What is interesting is that they conclude linen impregnated with glue has noticeable defensive properties even with just a few layers.

These testers have no dog in this fight either so they are neutral. 

Note how ineffective some of the leather types are as well.

Of course this does not prove that the linothorax as we think it was linen and some form of glue binding, only that that the concept works, and the glue makes it better. We know the Athenian general Iphicrates (c. 418 BC – c. 353 BC) provided linen corslets of some sort to his troops to make them more mobile (Nepos, Iphicrates  1.3-4). Some say it was more likely woven rather than glued. Interestingly Iphicrates was the said to be the son of a shoe maker and as such knew well the properties of leather, and then chose linen for his troops.

Regarding glued linen mummy and theater masks, I often use these as an example that such a technology (glue and linen) was well known and widespread in the Ancient Eastern Mediterranean.

As far as I know this new leather study with glued linen tested as well is the latest work touching on the subject. I don't want to re-discuss the linen vs leather topic only to make this new study available.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linothorax construction with alternative fabric - by Creon01 - 08-11-2016, 05:20 PM