Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mithras
I just finished reading Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff(pretty good book by the way) and it made frequent mention of the Brand of Mithras. It discribed this mark as being a small scar that was on the forhead. Was this mark given to all<br>
men in the legions? What ceremonies did it include? What was its purpose?<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>
It was only given to the members of the Mithras cult. <p><BR><p align=left><font color=gold><font size=2>
_________________________________<BR>
CASCA TARQVINIVS GEMINVS<BR>
<a href=http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org> LEG IX HSPA COH V CEN VIII CON III </font></font><BR>
<font color=gold><font size=2>
VIRES ET VALOR PRO GLORIA ROMAE<BR>
_________________________________</font></font></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
A recent publication (a revised translation of an earlier book in German though) is:<br>
<br>
M. Clauss, <i> The Roman cult of Mithras: the god and his mysteries</i> (rev. ed.) (Edinburgh 2000) ISBN 0 7486 1396 X<br>
<br>
Clauss is critical of earlier more speculative interpretations of the Mithraic cult. He does not list any sources for the tattoo's or scars (brand used to be applied to both burn marks and tattoo's in nineteenth century English, hence some confusion over what is meant in earlier publications), but perhaps some of the earlier works may have them, if such marks were not a result of imaginative reconstruction beyond actually available evidence.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The source for a sign on the front of the head is derived from Tertullianus, <i> De Praescriptione Haereticorum</i>. The text does not specify however whether this was a permanent mark or one that could be removed (as for instance the ash cross one can get after Carnival). Tertullian was not too precise in his details of other religions however and seems to have used the term <i> miles</i> rather generally as initiate in the Mithraic cult and not always in the precise sense of the grade of <i> miles</i>, soldier.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Franz Cumont, <u>The Mysteries of Mithra</u> was considered the classic, definitive work, but his interpretation is flawed and is now out of favor. David Ulansey <u>The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries</u> is well written, appears to be consistent with what little is known of the worship of Mithras, and currently seems to enjoy academic acceptance. <p></p><i></i>