Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanicus & the mutineers
I've been reading Book I of Tacitus' _Annales_, particularly the account of the mutiny of the Rhine legions following Augustus' death. The account of how Germanicus handled what was obviously a confused and very dangerous situation is intriguing. Clearly, Tacitus would have us see Germanicus as the hero of the hour, saving the army from its own depravity.<br>
<br>
But it reads like Germanicus was simply terrified, bewildered, and without a clue what to do. The legionaries had beaten up or murdered their centurions -- were sullen, unrepentant, and unafraid of reprisal. I especially like the part when he draws his sword, threatening to kill himself rather than see the legions disgraced -- and one old soldier draws his sword and says, "here, use mine, it's sharper!"<br>
<br>
He caved in -- gave the mutineers all they demanded (most of which they well deserved anyway). Only by cynically putting his pregnant wife and child at risk was he able to retrieve anything (then, that might have been Agrippina's idea, she seems to be the brighter of the two). His greatest achievement was inspiring a bloodbath, as the "good" soldiers slaughteed the leaders of the mutineers (whom they had all been sheepishly following), just because "little boots" looked cute in his caligae.<br>
<br>
It was not an edifying story: not for the army, for the empire, or for Germanicus.<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Here is the online translation and those wishing to practice their Latin translation skills can use the original text.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
I have been told, and am beginning to see why as my learning progresses, that Tacitus should be read with care. There have been numerous interpretations of all of Tacitus' works, and the one thng that seems clear is that Tacutus had one or more very definite "agendas" - even if we are uncertain of what they were. He was anything but an objective recorder or interpreter of events.<br>
<br>
Indeed, I have seen interpretations both essentially similar to, and diameterically opposite of yours, depending on the predilections of the interpreter.<br>
<br>
Another thing to consider: Germanicus was in the line of succession, and the man he might succeed was paranoid, jealous, and bitter - all with good reason. Further, the state of the Rhine legions, and the army as a whole, deserves serious thought before interpretation of the events as recorded by Tacitus.<br>
<br>
So your interpretation may be correct, or not, or there may be yet another, and another, and another - all defensible. Ain't history wunnerful! <p>Salve,<br>
Triarius<br>
One of the pack, maybe. One of the herd, <i>NEVER!</I></p><i></i>