Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Spartiate vs 1 Roman legionnaire
As I'm sure you people know a lot about this, what do you think the outcome would be? Considering the extremely masochistic behaviour of the Spartans (selfcriticism can lead to perfectionism - a desire to become the unattainable)..<br>
<br>
I'm not thinking about the superior Roman command-structure, since that is irrelevant in a duel.<br>
<br>
We've had this discussion on a different forum<br>
(Rome:TW forum)<br>
<br>
It's better to hear from someone who are so 'involved' and 'immersed' in this subject as you people most likely are. <p></p><i></i>
Boy, that's a tough one...I mean if the spartan used his sword and shield vs the legionary with sword and shield. Spartans train to be warriors since they were 6 years old, not to mention each one was an incredible athlete. Let's say if they're about equal in skill, I'd say the superior athleticism of the spartan might win out...though the Legionary was also in excellent shape.<br>
<br>
My vote is 53% of the time, the spartan would win... <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Lay your hand, or thy tongue against the greatness of Rome, and feel my wrath." - Matt Lanteigne<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>
Okay, this is off topic here -- let's relocate. Enjoy the discussion!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
This is sort of a non-question because the outcome of any single combat usually depends upon the individual fighter and just what sort of badass he is. Josephus describes the centurion from Bythinia who steps into the gate and lays them out right and left until his hobnails slip on the polished marble. Another history describes a Spartan in an occupied town when a night attack took place. He rolled out of bed stark naked, grabbed a spear in each hand and rushed into the street and commenced killing people. Later he was decorated for bravery, then fined for fighting without armor.<br>
So, both Spartans and Romans could excell at single combat.<br>
But, in ancient warfare, the battle usually went to the side that could maintain its formation the longest, and both Romans and Spartans instituted iron discipline to accomplish just that.<br>
Personally, in a one-on-one fight, I'd prefer a scutum and gladius to a hoplon and Greek-style sword. But I wouldn't want to take on a Spartan anyway. <p></p><i></i>