Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman roads and transportation
I thought about putting this one in the "Off Topic" section but roads and vehicles were an important part of the roman military system and I've found a site which is mighty interresting about it and does away with a few apparently wrong ideas about the ancient harness systems. It seems the ancient harness didn't "strangle" the animals at all, as previously and still commonly thought.<br>
Check it out. It is totally exhaustive and there is a magnificent reconstruction of a roman traveling coach, complete with suspension and chassis with pivoting front axle.<br>
www.humanist.de/rome/rts/wagon.html <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 2/28/02 6:53:40 pm<br></i>
that's pretty impressive, even if it does not define what a 'fellie' is. A single wagon could contain 130 kg of iron in its construction, and carry 2 - 4 tons of cargo. Did the army use these? I can see where all that iron manufacturing was used for if so. If a wagon could carry that much, how many horses or oxen would you need? I would like to know Ann Hyland's thoughts on the harnesses.<br>
Note also the analysis of the bronze and iron metalurgy, making comparisons with contemporary metalurgy. Are these consistent with the analysis of armor metalurgy? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
the HIGH NOISE/low signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=richsc>RichSC</A> at: 2/28/02 11:24:52 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
The fellie must be be the felloe joint. It's a U shaped piece of metal fastening both ends of the rim together. Found on Gallic chariots. <p></p><i></i>
there must be some etymology in there somewhere.. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
the HIGH NOISE/low signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Roads in Britain mcbishop 7 1,995 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Roman Roads in Britain Theoderic 9 2,333 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  When Were Roman Military Roads Built Theoderic 25 4,285 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM