Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What\'s up with Roman numerals in the Legions?
Was it standard practice for the number "4" to be written "IIII" in the legions only?<br>
<br>
Is "IV" something that was made up later as part of Medieval Latin?<br>
<br>
Inquiring minds wanna know. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Sqlve,<br>
<br>
The use of IIII (and correspondingly XIIII, XXIIII etc or VIIII) predominates in inscriptions though the other forms can be found as well.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Tile-stamps have been found for the Ninth Legion with both IX and VIIII clearly marked.<br>
<br>
source<br>
<br>
"Tile-Stamps of the Ninth Legion found in Britain"<br>
<br>
R.P Wright<br>
<br>
If anyone wants the full reference I'll post it <p></p><i></i>
Of course we do! The book-collectors in our ranks will surely add this to the want-lists. (I shall!)<br>
<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
The reference for the Ninth Legion is:<br>
<br>
Wright, R. P., 1978 Tile Stamps of the Ninth Legion Found in Britain. Britannia 9, 379-382<br>
<br>
He also wrote a paper on the Sixth Legion:<br>
<br>
Wright, R. P., 1976 The Stamps of the Sixth Legion Found in Britain, Britannia 7 1976, 224-235<br>
<br>
<br>
Hope that's ok for you :-) <p></p><i></i>
Ah-ha, I knew the title looked familiar... I've got that Britannia issue. Uh, actually have the whole set. Say, if anyone ever needs an article from Britannia, JRMES, or JRA, I can make (limited) copies. No payment required, just please don't abuse me. E EM<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
How about copying the whole set Jenny? *G* <p></p><i></i>
My Latin teacher goes to Rome every couple of years or so, and she says that you can find both IIII and the IV throughout the different parts of the city.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
C. Brianus <p></p><i></i>
This is an old thread, but I thought i'd offer an illustration of just how inconsistent Romans were in the use of numerals. During his final campaign (which ended at Actium), Marcus Antonius issued a huge mintage of denarii naming each of his 23 legions by number. They were probably a donative with each man being paid in coins of his own legion. The makers of the dies from which these coins were struck (dozens for each legion, as they wore out after a few hundred strikes) were clearly not given specific instructions as to how to write the legions' numbers, for we find the following variations:<br>
<br>
LEG PRI, LEG I, II, III, IIII, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, VIIII, IX, X, XI, IIX, XII, XIII, XIIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII. XVIII, XIIX, XVIIII, XIX, XX, XXI, XXII, XXIII, and XZ (_!_ possibly an error, but who knows?). Comparison of obverse dies show that IIX and XII both refer to the 12th legion. But whether XIIX is 18 or 22, I don't know.<br>
<br>
It was a huge issue, many millions of coins, which remained in circulation for well over a hundred years (they were common in the equivalent of cash registers at Pompeii). The reason they circulated so long is that their silver was so debased they just weren't worth melting down for the metal. The silver of the lower numbered legions' coins was somewhat better quality than those of the higher numbered.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
jjh<br>
<br>
(Hey! I just noticed I've been promoted! Where's my signum?)<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
I'll let Marius know about that. <p><BR><p align=left><font color=gold><font size=2>
_______________________________<BR>
MILES CASCA TARQVINIVS GEMINVS<BR>
<a href=http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org> LEG IX HSPA COH V CEN VIII CON III </font></font><BR>
<font color=gold><font size=2>
VIRES ET VALOR PRO GLORIA ROMAE<BR>
_______________________________</font></font></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Numerals Anonymous 4 1,311 04-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Anonymous