Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmet inscription
Hi all,<br>
While browsing through my dad´s copy of Bloemers a.o., Verleden Land, I find on p.81 a picture of a Coolus helmet found on the Dutch isle of Texel with an inscription saying it belonged to Firon or Piron VI Hir, which is explained as the Six Hirundo (Swallow), the Six being interpreted as a Hexere, a ship with six files of rowers. That would be surprising as no other ships larger than triremes are known this far north. And besides, only one other Six is known.<br>
Does anyone know of another, more extensive publication of this helmet? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Jasper,<br>
<br>
I don't know the passage concerning this helmet in <i> Verleden Land</i> but found the piece in Klumbach, <i> Römische Helme aus Niedergermanien</i> (Köln 1974), who gives a technical description and the following additional information (possibly cribbed) about it:<br>
<br>
- the icon between "HIR" and "PIRON" "...can probably be explained as an anchor";<br>
<br>
- "The ship (the Hexeris, that is) probably belonged to the 1000-unit[Einheiten]-strong transportation fleet[Transportflotte] that Germanicus ordered to build for the campaign of 16 AD (Tac., Ann. 2,6), and that got lost in a storm off the Dutch coast on the way home (Tac., Ann. 2,23.24)."<br>
<br>
- the helmet is kept in the RMO Leiden, Inv. g 1949/5.1. (year of discovery?!)<br>
<br>
Reference is given to: Bogaers, Twee vondsten uit de Maas in midden-Limburg. 1. De romeinse helm van Buggenum. In: Ber. ROB 9 (1959), 85 ff. (90 A 3).<br>
<br>
Besides, is "the only other six" the one mentioned in Dessau, ILS 2835 ("ANTONIUS LONGUS C[reverse] VI OPE")?<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
Hi Martin,<br>
Great, thanks, that helps!<br>
Yup, the Ops is the only hexere from the imperial age that is at all attested besides this possible one.<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Checked the references Martin posted. Bogaers doesn't help, he mentions the helmet in a list of Roman helmets found in Holland. The only extra information is that there is a note attached in the helmet with the finders name on it. Interesting trivia, but doesn't help.<br>
In MacMullen, 'Inscriptions on Armor', American Journal of Archaeology 64 (1960), 23ff, some more inscriptions with numbers are mentioned (though this helmet is missing). Those are nearly all accompanied by a unit indication, i.e. 'L', 'COH' or 'T'. Most common is naming the century to which the soldier belonged.<br>
The shape of this helmet and the place where it was found, on the Dutch Island of Texel correspond well with Germanicus' amphibious' operations in 15 and 16CE, but the type and name of this ship does not. Why build a huge warship, for something like 400/500 rowers were required, if the only goal was to transport troops? Tacitus description (Ann.II.6 & 23) does not imply Mediterranean warships, but local adaptations for transport, altough it cannot be excluded. He mentions that some ships were decked and equipped with catapults.<br>
Furthermore, no ships bigger than trieres are known for the provincial fleets. Lastly, this would be the first ship named Hirundo, no other ship of that name is known, while some other names are very common (Ops, Minerva, etc.).<br>
I'm curious to see that anchor symbol, and Klumbach says that the inscription is hard to read, maybe it's time to ask the museum where the helmet is stored for some photos? I would really like to be able to conclude that this helmet belonged to a sailor or marine of the Classis Germanica!<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
in the Leiden museum, there a couple of helmets on display which have inscriptions on the neck guards.<br>
I dont know if these are the ones you are looking for- I have some photos and sketches- unfortunately I couldnt make out the text <p></p><i></i>
This helmet is indeed in Leiden. Just sent them an e-mail to ask about photos. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Wow, what a service, got a spot on photo of the lettering on the neck guard today. The VI is difficult to see and what the symbol in the middle is, is anybody's guess.<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Legion size based on the Perge Inscription FlaviusB 28 718 04-12-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Needed: Defaced inscription of Stilicho in the Roman Forum sonic 3 1,837 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Last Post: SigniferOne