Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Thrusting Spears
Does anyone know where to find a late Roman thrusting spear or what kind of spear they used and what kind of spear did the Roman triarii use and where to find it?
Thanks, Connor
The Roman's during the 4th Century AD began using a spear roughly six and a half feet long called the Spiculum, this gradually increased to a length of between eight to twelve feet by the time of the Emperor Maurice. You can find details in both Vegetius and the Stratigekon.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
The thrusting spear never really left the Roman inventory. The auxilia may have retained it in a version up to 6 ft. long, called the hasta. Somewhere during the 3rd c., after legionaries begin to complain about their pila not being long enough to take on theit enemies, the longer hasta began to be introduced. Although we are never really sure how the Romans called their weapons (unfortunately they are always a bit funny when it comes to generic names), the name 'hasta' occurs enough for us to use it for the longer thrusting spear.

The Spiculum of Vegetius' days is not a thrusting spear, but the same weapon as the former pilum, as Vegetius wrote:
 . . item bina missibilia, unum maius ferro triangulo unciarum novem, hastili pedum quinque semis, quod pilum vocabant, nunc spiculum dicitur . . . (Veg. 2.15.5)

It's certainly a heavy spear meant for throwing and hand to hand combat (like the old pilum), but it's not the same as the hasta which was a thrusting spear that could also be thrown.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(04-28-2016, 10:29 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: The thrusting spear never really left the Roman inventory. The auxilia may have retained it in a version up to 6 ft. long, called the hasta. Somewhere during the 3rd c., after legionaries begin to complain about their pila not being long enough to take on theit enemies, the longer hasta began to be introduced. Although we are never really sure how the Romans called their weapons (unfortunately they are always a bit funny when it comes to generic names), the name 'hasta' occurs enough for us to use it for the longer thrusting spear.

The Spiculum of Vegetius' days is not a thrusting spear, but the same weapon as the former pilum, as Vegetius wrote:
 . . item bina missibilia, unum maius ferro triangulo unciarum novem, hastili pedum quinque semis, quod pilum vocabant, nunc spiculum dicitur . . . (Veg. 2.15.5)

It's certainly a heavy spear meant for throwing and hand to hand combat (like the old pilum), but it's not the same as the hasta which was a thrusting spear that could also be thrown.

The Late Roman Thrusting spear became known as a Contus by the time of the 4th-6th centuries, and grew from a length of about 6-7 feet to anywhere between 8-12 feet for infantry. Possibly longer for Cavalry.
Do any of you know where I can buy a Roman hasta or any other kind of Roman thrusting spear?
Thanks, Connor
Connor DeLoach
I'm not convinced that the Spiculum was similar to the pilum on the basis that Ammianus uses these terms in his History to describe spears- 'hasta', 'spiculum' and separately during the reigns of Valentinian and Valens speaks of the infantry throwing 'pilis'.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Hello, Connor

You really can't buy a complete hasta. It's too long for shipping. Check out available spear heads, like the generic "European" version sold by Kult of Athena and others. All you have to do is purchase a length of rounded stock, 1 3/4 inches in diameter, at whatever length you want. This can be found at a lumber yard. Whittle down the end to fit the spear head, and you've got your own Roman hasta. Big Grin
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
(04-29-2016, 11:18 AM)ValentinianVictrix Wrote: I'm not convinced that the Spiculum was similar to the pilum on the basis that Ammianus uses these terms in his History to describe spears- 'hasta', 'spiculum' and separately during the reigns of Valentinian and Valens speaks of the infantry throwing 'pilis'.

There is a distinction, we have archaeological examples that show it, and the way Vegetius defines it shows it. Ammianus also uses many terms interchangeably, and much of his work was classicizing.
Didn't the late romans use the term lancea instead of hasta? From my understanding, there were 2 types of lanceae: the short version was a javelin. But the longer version was a spear. Today we still say "Lance" in english and "Lanze" in german.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Quote:Didn't the late romans use the term lancea instead of hasta? From my understanding, there were 2 types of lanceae: the short version was a javelin. But the longer version was a spear. Today we still say "Lance" in english and "Lanze" in german.

The term Lancea was synonymous with Verrutum: it is a small, one meter javelin typically with a barbed or pyramidal tip (leaf-bladed and trilobate examples also date to the late Roman period, the latter might be an Alanic or Hunnic introduction). The Roman word Lancea came to mean "lance", but that was much later in the middle ages, when copyists and church Latin switched a lot of terminology around (hence why the words catapult and ballista are switched up in our language). The late Roman word for spear/lance was typically Contus (from Greek: Kontos or Kontarion). The term Hasta persisted as well.

Generally speaking though, terminology changes and is often mixed up. We call magazines for semi-automatic and full-automatic firearms "clips" thanks to movies and videogames, but a "clip" only refers to a specific type of magazine for rifles like the M-1 Garande, I'm not sure. It was a WWII rifle I know that.
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a late Roman Hasta?
Connor DeLoach
Connor,

In post #7 on this very thread, I explained that you cannot buy a complete hasta, because shipping is prohibitive due to its great length. You have to make it yourself from available parts. Cool
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Deepeeka sells a generic spear that's about 6 foot long but the oversize shipping can be quite expensive.

http://legvi.tripod.com/sotw/roman-polearms.html

Email Rusty ([email protected]) and he can see if they have it in stock in Virginia, if you live in the US.
(04-29-2016, 10:29 PM)Amo Canum Wrote: Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a late Roman Hasta?

Look here, old fellow, let me help you out.
First, grab any one of these:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...Spear+Head

Any of these would be acceptable...there was a wide variety of spear heads used in late Rome, and a huge amount of variation in what was carried by the legions, never mind the Auxilia, depending on location.

Then, head to your local home supply store, like Home Depot or Lowes, and find where they sell the replacement tool handles, like for rakes and shovels. You should be able to find a handle there that's intended for rakes and other garden implements for just a few dollars- I believe the one I bought was $8 or so. You may need to fit the head to the shaft with a bit of whittling so it fits nicely. The simplest way to attach it is simply two part epoxy for wood and metal, like JB weld. You can drill and pin if you'd like, it's more authentic, but if it's just for hanging on the wall, who cares?

There you go mate, a late Roman thrusting spear for under $50 and an afternoon of very easy assembly.
R. A. Lundberg
Robert Wimmers sells sets of hasta blades and butts. In the past he also had access to cedar shafts.
Fectio bought several sets from him.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Boar Spears? Eleatic Guest 13 3,328 12-28-2020, 09:23 PM
Last Post: George44
  Throwing spears in the late Roman army Marcus Mummius 10 3,544 02-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Flavius Promotus