Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculating length of a battle line
Hi all,

I was reading a book on Plataea and it gave a rough figure of 4.8km as the distance of the Greek battle line. I just wondered is there a similar calculation for Roman armies?

I'd like to feature the battle line of both the Roman and Carthaginian forces at Cannae for a vlog and wondered if anyone either knew this or had a basic formula which could be applied?

cheers!

neil
My blog

My vlog

@ancientblogger

Hope you enjoy!

Neil
Your best bet would be to look online for a copy of a translation of Vegetius as he gave measurements for exactly what your looking for.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
try to look after prof. Phil Sabin he has an great interest in these battles, you will fond quite interesting what he has to say .
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/wa...index.aspx

about 2400 to 3000 m without cavalry wings, don't forget that the romans did deploy on depth that is why they lost probably

Plateea was probably much narrower than 4.8km.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
many thanks to you both!
My blog

My vlog

@ancientblogger

Hope you enjoy!

Neil
Quote:Your best bet would be to look online for a copy of a translation of Vegetius as he gave measurements for exactly what your looking for.

So does the Strategikon.

http://www.amazon.com/Maurices-Strategik...0812217721

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetius-Epitome-M...0853239109
I've lifted this from one of the online Vegetius translations so that you don't have to go trawling around for it yourself-

'PROPER DISTANCES AND INTERVALS

Having explained the general disposition of the lines, we now come to the distances and dimensions. One thousand paces contain a single rank of one thousand six hundred and fifty-six foot soldiers, each man being allowed three feet. Six ranks drawn up on the same extent of ground will require nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-six men. To form only three ranks of the same number will take up two thousand paces, but it is much better to increase the number of ranks than to make your front too extensive. We have before observed the distance between each rank should be six feet, one foot of which is taken up by the men. Thus if you form a body of ten thousand men into six ranks they will occupy thirty-six feet. in depth and a thousand paces in front. By this calculation it is easy to compute the extent of ground required for twenty or thirty thousand men to form upon. Nor can a general be mistaken when thus he knows the proportion of ground for any fixed number of men.

But if the field of battle is not spacious enough or your troops are very numerous, you may form them into nine ranks or even more, for it is more advantageous to engage in close order that to extend your line too much. An army that takes up too much ground in front and too little in depth, is quickly penetrated by the enemy's first onset. After this there is no remedy. As to the post of the different corps in the right or left wing or in the center, it is the general rule to draw them up according to their respective ranks or to distribute them as circumstances or the dispositions of the enemy may require.'
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Hello,

Check also this website.

Greetings,
Alexandr

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line? Tempestvvv 24 12,455 09-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Tempestvvv
  Support of the Legionary battle line jkaler48 5 1,620 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Where would the Centurion stand in a battle line? GaiusPopilliusLaenas 12 4,043 11-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Last Post: M. Caecilius