Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photos of Roman tombstones in Britain needed for Ancient Warfare magazine
For the next issue of Ancient Warfare, I'm looking for good photos, high-res, of Roman tombstones from Britain. The author sent me photos that were scans from books and can thus not be used. Does anyone here have pictures of the following:

- The tombstone of Insus, a Roman auxiliary cavalryman of Ala Augusta;
- The tombstone of cavalryman Longinus of Ala Thracum;
- The tombstone of Marcus Favonius Facilis, centurion of XX Valeria Victrix;
- Head of the tombstone from Croy Hill depicting legionaries of Legio VI Victrix;

The one(s) to help me will get a free copy of an issue of AW or AHM of their choice. Thanks!
Hi Josho,

I am in Glasgow and close to the Hunterian and the Kelvingrove Museums. If any of those tombstones reside there, I can probably take a picture on Saturday. I am also visiting the National Museum in Edinburgh for the Celtic exhibition on Monday so could take a picture then (if allowed, of course . . .).
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Insus' tombstone was found in Lancaster and should be in the Museum of Lancashire there. The tombstones of Longinus and Facilis are in the Castle Museum, Colchester. The tombstone from Croy Hill is, I believe, in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(04-21-2016, 11:43 AM)JoshoB Wrote: For the next issue of Ancient Warfare, I'm looking for good photos, high-res, of Roman tombstones from Britain. The author sent me photos that were scans from books and can thus not be used. Does anyone here have pictures of the following:

- The tombstone of Insus, a Roman auxiliary cavalryman of Ala Augusta;
- The tombstone of cavalryman Longinus of Ala Thracum;
- The tombstone of Marcus Favonius Facilis, centurion of XX Valeria Victrix;
- Head of the tombstone from Croy Hill depicting legionaries of Legio VI Victrix;

The one(s) to help me will get a free copy of an issue of AW or AHM of their choice. Thanks!

Perhaps not hi-res enough, but feel free to use: Croy Hill Legionaries
Cheers everyone! If you still want to contribute, you can also send me an email at [email protected].
(04-26-2016, 08:31 AM)JoshoB Wrote: Cheers everyone! If you still want to contribute, you can also send me an email at [email protected].

I think all of the ones mentioned are in my Tombstones album on Flickr (and in colour). If you want hires versions of any of them for AW just let me know.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
(04-29-2016, 06:24 AM)mcbishop Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 08:31 AM)JoshoB Wrote: Cheers everyone! If you still want to contribute, you can also send me an email at [email protected].

I think all of the ones mentioned are in my Tombstones album on Flickr (and in colour). If you want hires versions of any of them for AW just let me know.

Mike Bishop

Thanks, Mike! X-2 is out of the door now, but I'll keep this in mind for future issues of AW.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A map of ancient Carthage needed Michael Collins 3 590 12-17-2020, 06:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  \"Origins of the composite bow\" in Ancient Warfare. Virilis 4 3,179 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Roman cataphractarii and clibanarii tombstones Julian Apostata 7 4,642 07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Julian Apostata