Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on Constantius, Constantine and the Northern British Tribes
I think you are reading a lot into Eusebius' very short reference. You seem to know what he was and what he wasn't referring to. But so far I don't read anything that should convince me of that.
My position is that we ca't tell what or who Eusebius was referring to. His lack of details prevents that. If Constantine needed to 'subdue the troublesome British' that is far more likely to refer to raiding tribes from North of the Wall, especially because from later genealogies it seems that everybody quite liked Constantine and his wife - sanctified them, even.

The use of the word 'British'is no proof for 'British tribes' whatsoever. The Romans continued to use tribal names as much as we do so for the names of regions. The names of the Batavian tribe continues to survive here as part of the province of Gelderland. yet no-one would even think of considering that the old tribe itself survived the centuries.
If people know they come from a certain region that does not mean they are a 'tribe'. Regional differentiality is something altogether different than a tribal structure. Ask any sociologist.
If the tribes survived, please point out evidence how their hierarchy of kings, priest and warriors survived? They just 'posed' as Romano-British for 300 years?

One sentence of Eusebius does not make for a late Roman tribal structure in Roman Britain.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions on Constantius, Constantine and the Northern British Tribes - by Robert Vermaat - 04-28-2016, 10:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Tribes of Northern Spain HowardWhitehouse 4 3,833 04-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Arminius75