Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping up-to-date on Roman Archaeology - in particular Military and Gladiatorial!
Hello all!

My name is Charlie and I posted in the new recruits section about my background. My main interest is in any Roman Archaeology of 2016... new and upcoming stuff or projects that have been in the works and may be published soon? I suppose my main question is are there websites that I can check for updates on major finds/papers etc? Can I find that here? In particular I have a very strong interest in the new field of ancient DNA testing.

Reason I am so into Roman stuff now (other than studying it in college and loving the movies etc) is that I participate in the newer Y-DNA testing and am a part of a research group who researches the DF98 Y-DNA group called the King's Cluster (for those of you who are familiar with Y-DNA testing - it's an SNP marker called DF98 under the U106 groups of R1b). I was born in America, but for now my oldest male ancestor was one of those headless skeletons from 6 Driffield Terrace (6drif-3) excavated and recently had his DNA tested in a paper released in early 2016. I matched him on markers found first in my y-chromosome (though we know they are good reads as I matched a couple other families with history from Britain when they took the same test I took). He is a part of a group who cluster in Scotland and Northern England and Ireland... a very British group of modern testers with only a couple outliers. One outlier is a guy who's male ancestors were nobility in Norway - moved to Sweden - then ended up fighting in Estonia. His male line was "confirmed" old nobility from Norway while in Sweden at the "Noble Parliament" and there is a big Coat of Arms for his family. I have a theory his early ancestor came from Britain over to Norway. The only other outlier is a guy who matches our group early on (common ancestor would b in the Iron Age based on dating) who is from France. These are matches below DF98. As a group DF98 cluster along the Upper Rhine near Mainz, Worms, and Mannheim... and around Wettin in Thuringia (associated with the House of Wettin).

So that means my direct male ancestor so far based on the evidence, was an Ancient Briton buried near Eboracum - lead theory is they were gladiators of some sort - though soldier would be the next best interpretation based on amount of interpersonal violence - and his overall DNA (we call it autosomal) was local in that it matches best with modern day Irish and Welsh (so good proxy for ancient briton?), but his male ancestors probably came from somewhere along the Rhine or on the French side of the Rhine - though whether that was in the Iron Age or with the Romans in the AD (since they recruited there a lot) - we still need Iron Age remains tested to get a better idea of that. For instance, if we find a positive match with DF98 in some Iron Age remains around Yorkshire, then we were there in the Iron Age most likely.

Also found in the 3 Driffield Cemetery was 3drif-16 who tested positive for the Y-DNA marker DF96 and sub group L1, which has a connection to Germany/France and lots of families in England and Scotland just like my sub group under DF98. Probably members of the same extended tribe/group... my group leader has dated the expansion, based on modern day testing, of the S4004 and L1 SNP markers to about 700 BC - so either we stayed put along the Rhine early on in the Iron Age and then interacted with the Romans eventually, or we were Iron Age arrivals to Britain. We have yet to find S4004 or any SNP marker below that (descendant) outside of Britain, except for the one Norwegian who was probably a migrant from Scotland.

So I'm very interested in when they excavate the Gladiator cemetery at Carnuntum (as there is evidence for the DNA group u106 in Austria also) and any other sites associated with gladiators or soldiers... particularly along the Rhine where my group comes from. Also interested, by extension, in any Iron Age burials that are excavated along the Rhine - sure to dig up some DF98 there ;-).

Any comments are welcome, I figure I might as well ask questions and I love discussion. Also if anyone has any questions about DNA testing feel free to ask. My research group for U106 and the sub groups of DF96 and DF98 need more testers with history from the countries of France, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to get tested - especially NE France - basically all countries along the Rhine since that is where our Y-DNA group clusters - and clustering is important - we knew our little group called S4004 clustered in modern testers from Scotland and Northern England... and surprise... we find a match with an 1800 year old skeleton buried at Eboracum/York!!! So where there is clustering, there is bound to be matches with ancient DNA and likely an possible origin for that sub group.

Here is the paper in which 6drif-3 (my oldest male ancestor to date- but matches me almost as well as the three or so families of the modern testers - that just means our common ancestor was predicted at about 68% out of the 95% interval to be at about 32 AD) and 3drif-16 (DF96 and L1) were tested along with a few more Romano-British from the Driffield cemetery and also an Iron Age woman from Malton and an Anglo-Saxon. Interesting stuff - especially the supplementary data! http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160119...10326.html

Cheers... and this is an awesome forum!

P.S. If anyone is interested in getting Y-DNA testing from Family Tree DNA... I know a great deal about it so ask questions!

Charlie
Charles Weaver
Just a quick update of the type of stuff I'm interested in and would like to discuss with anyone on here who is an expert or at least follows Roman archaeology - particularly in Britain! They found decapitated skeletons (near a horse burial) much like they did at Driffield... and these guys were inhumations associated with the Roman Fort at Inveresk in East Lothian... probably soldiers. There was a cavalry unit there they think or at least room for one (500 men maybe) and some horse equipment and other Roman finds.

http://www.cfa-archaeology.co.uk/2011/04...age-the-r/
Charles Weaver

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A list of each Roman helmets date? Robcore 2 1,173 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Last Post: xxLegion2019
  Armor in non-military/gladiatorial context john roberts 2 1,377 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Near/Middle East (incl. Roman Military Related) Archaeology RickJ 1 1,358 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest