Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Praetorians and the pomerium
While it was tradition not to have weapons or armor inside the pomerium, wasn't the praetorian camp inside? At what point were weapons introduced inside the pomerium? <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Looking at the Map of Rome, it looks to be out side fo the Pomerium. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The actual boundary of the city and the <i> pomerium</i> originally coincided, but as time went by the built up area was larger than that. The camp of the praetorian guard was outside of it.<br>
<br>
Weapons were used within the city during emergencies and civil wars, both during the republic and empire (eg Catilina's revolt, year of the four emperors, chaos after death of Commodus) and it seems to have lost its meaning in the fourth century when Constantius II paraded with his army fully armed through the city. The imperial guards also seem to have carried their swords around, though usually not their full armour and equipment.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
i think the praetorians where an exeption to the rule. The castra praetoria was build inside the wall of Rome. Also, the 3 praetorian cohorts who where on guardduty in Rome, did wear toga's (they carried their sword underneith the toga's), perhaps they also carried their armour underneith this?<br>
<br>
comments? <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Salv,<br>
<br>
The <i> pomerium</i> and the built up area of the city did not coincide: parts of the city fell outside this boundary. The city itself was enlarged as more buildings were constructed, but the religious boundary of the <i> pomerium</i> was only extended when the <i> imperium Romanum</i> had been enlarged.<br>
<br>
Wearing of armour beneath civilian attire is attested for emperors when they feared assassination, but this was rare enough to be commented upon.It is conceivable that the guards may also have dne so, but there are no extant references to it.<br>
<br>
Three praetorian cohorts were originally stationed at Rome and billeted on the civilian population, the others were initially stationed at other towns in Italy, but these were concentrated at the new base at Rome under Tiberius.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>