Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training
Were legionaires trained to specifically aim their gladii for specific points of the body? I read were the Vikings tried to strike the 'fat line' in "Eaters of the Dead," and I was wondering if the Romans would have done the same. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Vegetius 1.12 describes the Roman preference for stabbing over slashing, though other source references make clear that Roman swordplay was cut and thrust throughout the republican and imperial period. The author explicitly states that this emphasis was due to the fact that a slashing blow would hit parts of the body that were likely to be protected by armour and bones.<br>
<br>
Latin text and English translation of book 1.11-20 from M. Bishop's Armamentarium site<br>
<br>
Whether they were trained to do so or not, head and face wounds are quite frequently mentioned in descriptions of Roman battles, something that has a parallel in the wounds inflicted on the victims of the battle of Visby in the Middle Ages.<br>
<br>
<i> Eaters of the dead</i> is a novel if I am not mistaken (the one used for <i> The thirteeenth warrior</i>) and I am not as well versed in Viking matters, but perhaps a germanophile like Tim O'Neill may know more about how correct its contents are.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
salve,<br>
<br>
as i understood, the roman soldiers were trained by the lanista (the same who trained the gladiators). I think that these guys know exactly where you must hit a target in order to kill your opponet (see the movie Spartacus). Personally i think that the majoraty of the hits will be in the chest (the largest target), in the hart-area as a hit here will most surely kill your opponent (and as i understood, romen legionairs where very good in killing their enemies.<br>
<br>
greetings jeroen pelgrom <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Salve,<br>
<br>
Gladiatorial trainers are reported as being used to train the newly recruited legions after the massive defeats suffered by the Roman army against the Cimbri and Teutones. It is however probably not correct to interpret this as implying that this was the normal state of affairs. There are no indications that they were employed afterwards and it was very likely an emergency measure, since a great number of experienced veteran soldiers had been wiped out. Since there were obvious similarities between the professions of legionary swordsman and professional swordfighter for the arena the gladiatorial trainers were a good stop gap measure. Training in weapons skills was normally done by experienced military instructors. Recruitment of men normally considered as unsuitable, such as slaves (usually freed before enlistment), gladiators, <i> lanistae</i> and others at the low end of social esteem, is recorded when the army was scraping the barrel for troops.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>