Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jewish revolt
Hello, I am from Belgium and new to this forum. First, forgive me for my bad english...<br>
I am a passionate of roman history for a very long time now and most particulary military history. For the moment my main focus is on the first (66-74 AD) and second (132-135 AD) jewish revolt. I would like to know if anyone have informations or know about books on the aspect, equipment, etc of the jewish combatants.<br>
Thanks for all answer. <p></p><i></i>
First of all, there's nothing at all wrong with your English. My main interest has always been with this particullar bit of Roman military history, as well. I have numerous books on the first Jewish Revolt and only a few about the second or Bar-Kokhba Revolt, less of which is known. I don't know what, if any, books you've accumulated so far but I recommend beginning at the beginning with a copy of "The Jewish War" by Josephus Flavius, and/or any commentaries on this work you can track down. Also, any works by Yigael Yadin dealing with his excavations of Masada and also his work dealing with the discovery of the caves in and around the Dead Sea area are most enlightening. Actual letters sent by Shimeon Bar-Kokhba and his lieutennants have been discovered in these caves; correspondance which echoes the desperate situation in which the rebels are finding themselves and their cause.<br>
<br>
I'm excited to find another Jewish Revolt fan out there and will help you any way I can. If you have any questions or need more info, don't hesitate to post! <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
It is sometimes thought that the War Scroll may refer to the battleorder of Jewish insurgents rather than to either Hellenistic or Roman troops, though the latter is the main stream view.<br>
<br>
Some publications that may be useful are:<br>
<br>
Connolly, P., <i> Living in the times of Jezus of Nazareth</i> (Oxford 1983) 96p.<br>
Eck, W., 'The Bar Kokhba revolt: the Roman point of view' in: <i> Journal of Roman Studies</i> 89 (1999), 76-89.<br>
Isaac, B., <i> The limits of empire. The Roman army in the East</i> (rev. ed.) (Oxford 1993) 519p.<br>
Isaac, B., <i> The Near East under Roman rule</i> (Leiden 1997).<br>
Nicolle, D., <i> Rome's enemies V: the desert frontier</i> MAA 243 (London 1991) 48p.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Add to these...<br>
<br>
Yigael Yadin, <i> "Bar-Kokhba: The Rediscovery of the legendary Hero of the second Jewish Revolt against Rome"</i> Random House 1971)<br>
<br>
Yigael Yadin, <i> "Masada"</i> (Random House 1966)<br>
<br>
Leibel Reznick, <i> "The Mystery of Bar-Kokhba: An Historical and Thological Investigation of the Last King of the Jews"</i> (Jason Aronson Inc. 1996)<br>
<br>
Fergus Millar, <i> "The Roman Near East, 31 BC-AD 337: Based on Carl Newell Jackson Lectures"</i> (Harvard University Press 1993)<br>
<br>
Rupert Furneaux, <i> "The Roman Seige of Jerusalem"</i> (McKay 1972)<br>
<br>
Norman Golb, <i> "Who Wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?"</i> (Scribner 1995)<br>
<br>
Hershel Shanks, <i> "Understanding the Dead Sea Scrolls"</i> (Random House 1992)<br>
<br>
G.A. Williamson, (Revised by E. Mary Smallwood), <i> "Josephus: The Jewish War"</i> (Penguin 1981) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uthecaesarionsection.showPublicProfile?language=EN>The Caesarion Section</A> at: 8/26/01 5:39:54 pm<br></i>
I read parts of Josephus years ago. Since then I thought that he would be a very interesting character to base a movie on. He made a choice that most condemn but also tried, within the tight constraints that his new friendships gave him, to tell a neutral story. What are your views on his neutrality? To what extent is he a reliable source? <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
First, thanks all for your answer. Concerning the books, I already have quite a lot but nevertheless there is some that you suggerated that I don't have... yet ;-) It's what so wonderfull with this passion, it's a never ending story. Anyway, my main concern for the moment is about the apperance, equipment and combat structure of the jewish forces, and it's quite difficult to find anything about that. Can we think that some of the jewish combattant will be something like the "royal forces" from Herod time, some others equiped with mostly roman equipment... really I don't know. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
There is extremely limited evidence available for the appearance of the rebel forces. There would have been differences in equipment levels between the various groups, for some were bandits (a term, then as now, applied to guerilla forces as well as brigands) which had more experience in fighting while others were normal civilians. There are descriptions of the use of spears, javelins, swords, shields, bows, slings, catapults and armour, but very little representations of these or actual remains that can give a clue to their type.The use of Roman equipment by part of the rebels is however very likely since the rebels occupied several sites which were previously held by Roman garrisons and the defeat of Cestius must have added more Roman armaments to the rebel arsenal. Roman organisation and tactics were also to some extent copied. Josephus at least describes how he tried to model the forces under his command before his defection to the Romans on the Roman pattern. Nevertheless it is unsure to what extent this copying of Roman fighting methods also applied to other rebel factions.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/27/01 11:35:14 am<br></i>
The question of Josephus' objectivity is what makes him such an enigma to us. He does owe his loyalties and has his biases which could have a bearing on his narrative, many historians do, ancient and modern.<br>
<br>
As for myself, knowing that history is so complex, I choose to keep things as simple as possible and just accept that what Josephus says happened, happened, until it is proven otherwise. I don't know enough to second guess him. I am only now just beginning to have my pet theories. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jewish Revolt Jona Lendering 33 5,855 12-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Legions during the Jewish revolt L C Cinna 7 2,171 07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Johnny Shumate
  Jewish revolt 2 Anonymous 5 1,808 08-30-2001, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Anonymous