Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Architectus training
Salvete omnes!<br>
<br>
Over the last few years I've been getting interested in Roman military engineering (and yes, I've red Vitruvious, Vegetius - before the new translation came out - and the De Rebus Bellicis). What I haven't been able to find out is what sort of training an engineer would have; somebody like Anthemius, for example. I can't see that they could have got it all from books; did they learn purely at the feet of existing engineers? Even judging from Bitruvius they would have needed a better background in mathematics tahn most (particularly in Anthemius' time!) - what sort of studies would they need first? Where did they come from? Preumably the middle classes; but how did the ban on entering the army except at a very high level operate? Did it count as entering the army? If they moved away from their home town, what about permission to travel?<br>
<br>
Suggestions about where to look would be very much appreciated. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
This inscription sheds some light on the training of <i> architecti</i> within the army rather than the civilian society.<br>
<br>
<i> CIL</i> 13, 7945.<br>
<br>
[I(ovi)] O(ptimo) M(aximo) et geni[o] / [vexillationis?] / [leg(ionis) I M(inerviae) P(iae) F(idelis)?] // Sub Iulio Cas/ tino leg(ato) leg(ionis) I M(inerviae) / cura Petroni / Aquilae |(centurionis) <f=E>ur/nus <f=E>actus ar(chitecti) / Val(erio) Aman(do) dis/cente [[duobus]] / Aug[[g(ustis]] co(n)s(ulibus)<br>
<br>
'To Jupiter Best and Greatest and the spirit of the detachment of the First legion Minervia Dutyful and Loyal under Iulius Castinus commander of the First Legion Minervia and under the care of centurion Petronius Aquila a furnace has been erected by the trainee engineer Valerius Amandus when the two Augusti were consuls'<br>
<br>
The <i> disc ar</i> abbreviation can be used both for the <i> discens architecti</i> as well as the <i> discens armaturae</i> in inscriptions. The <i> CIL</i> prefers the former interpretation since this text handles about the construction of a furnace, for which task an apprentice weapons instructor does not seem to to fit in well. The fact that the position of <i> discens architecti</i> exists shows that at least some of the army's engineers received their training in the army and were not recruited as fully qualified men.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>