Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Second late-antique fortress at CUT/Xanten(D) ?
(04-07-2016, 08:19 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(04-06-2016, 10:38 PM)Simplex Wrote: At first glance it looks suspiciously like a larger version of the reductionary late fortlet of Durnomagus.

It does. Thanks for this - very interesting. Does the text (really wish I could read German - again!) give any idea of the relative dates of the two? Presumably one circuit is tetrarchic and the other later (Valentinianic?), but which is which?

(I'd add a rating, but I'm only allowed 'neutral'... [Image: sad.png])
Hi Nathan,
...the postings are not too specific.
Guessworks about dating, -- educated, but guessworks nevertheless.
O.K. -- historians have long been speculating about the existence of another fort before the massive one right in the middle of CUT.
Some of them maintained that it must have been at the site of Vetera II opposite of the Lippe's mouth.
But who knows  -- given the strategic importance of this sites around Xanten and putting into perspective the surprises the nether-german limes along the rhine had for ist researchers even recently--  shouldn't there be "space" for even a third "late" fort/fortlet in this area ?? Wink

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Second late-antique fortress at CUT/Xanten(D) ? - by Simplex - 04-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wolfgang Böhme: Late antique military belts Simplex 1 140 07-15-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late antique Spangenhelmets Flavivs Aetivs 3 1,544 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Last Post: jkmol
  Late antique fortifications database SMC 14 5,108 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Last Post: SMC