Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trasimeno
I ordered Goldsworthy's "Punic Wars" and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive. Over the years I have seen maps of the Trasimeno battle of Hannibal but have wondered how well the battle is actually known (e.g. finds or indirect evidence to confirm the reconstruction). Why am I asking? Yesterday I was driving along the Trasimeno Lake on the northern side. Luckily there wasn't much traffic as I kept looking at the hills, risking an accident a couple of times, trying to imagine where the battle could have occurred. I already know that the present day lake is smaller and the shore line was further inland. The motorway is indeed closer to the hills and it seemed easy to imagine where the shore line once was. Even though I was probably looking in wrong direction I still got all excited!<br>
The power of imagination. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 7/27/01 8:13:59 am<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hi Goffredo,<br>
Don't want to dissapoint you, but Goldsworthy doesn't spend many words describing this battle (just about three pages, to be exact). He does say however, in answer to your question, that the exact location of the battle is not orecisely known: our sources are unclear and sometimes contradictory, besides, it's also uncertain where the shoreline was in relation to the modern lake.<br>
It's a great book anyhow, have fun reading!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine