Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Reviews or Comments
Has anyone read this book yet: 

An Invincible Beast: Understanding the Hellenistic Pike Phalanx in Action by Christopher Matthew 

I'm curious if its worth buying or just regurgitating incorrect info. 
Hello, Bryon

Did you, by any chance, search to see if this book had any reviews... as in, typing-in the book's title and seeing what popped up on Google? There are hundreds of  volumes like this, all presenting an authorial viewpoint which might or might not have a realistic foundation. There are 548 results on Amazon for "Christopher Matthew," a few more than I care to search for. I don't have the time to check this title, nor do a lot of other RAT members, but I'm sure somebody has made a critical internet comment on it. It's published by Pen & Sword, noted for inconsistent authorship. Cool

PS: Hint-- Use Google search, not Yahoo or any other inferior search engine. If you find nothing, then buyer beware. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
(03-31-2016, 03:11 AM)Alanus Wrote: Hello, Bryon

Did you, by any chance, search to see if this book had any reviews... as in, typing-in the book's title and seeing what popped up on Google? There are hundreds of  volumes like this, all presenting an authorial viewpoint which might or might not have a realistic foundation. There are 548 results on Amazon for "Christopher Matthew," a few more than I care to search for. I don't have the time to check this title, nor do a lot of other RAT members, but I'm sure somebody has made a critical internet comment on it. It's published by Pen & Sword, noted for inconsistent authorship. Cool

PS: Hint-- Use Google search, not Yahoo or any other inferior search engine. If you find nothing, then buyer beware. Wink

Use Ecosia and plant some trees while you search!...

Couldn't see any usefull Academic reviews though and that included a quick search on google which I rarely use these days, too many spurious results...

However a Rat member has the book and may post a review if you ask... found with Ecosia...
Roman army talk: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/thread-25456.html

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you Olonus for your reply.

I checked out Amazon before I posted and saw one review for this book. One. Review.

I read numerous complaints about his previous Storm of Spears book and I was wondering if his newer book had similar issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JRMES book reviews mcbishop 1 1,124 07-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Armarium Magnum - Historical Book Reviews Tim O\'Neill 1 2,421 03-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  book reviews: Nero\'s killing machine Chuck Russell 1 1,229 04-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering