Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Linothoraxes" in the army of Aetius?
(04-01-2016, 12:40 AM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: I'm looking at this one and very clearly seeing Intercisa-style and/or Berkasova-style helmets alongside the Phrygian Caps and those domed helmets. One of the Phrygian helmets looks like it has a nasal. I'm wondering if it's a mix of Classicization and contemporary equipment? Spangenhelms mixed with Phrygian helmets, etc.

"Phrygian" helmets aren't unknown in 2nd/3rd Roman art; take for example the Arch of Severus:

[Image: 1034_01_04_16_8_30_02_1.JPG]

Or a certain style of 'parade' armour:

[Image: 1034_01_04_16_8_30_01_0.jpg]

Despite its actual usage, it's clearly an allusion to a distant, quasi-mythological, Hellenistic past (Severus had conquered Persia, and judging by other helmet designs Roman cavalrymen fought in mock battles as "Greeks" vs "Amazons"). As such it was very likely still visible and understood in 5th century Rome.

(04-01-2016, 12:40 AM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: I had a long discussion with Raffaelle D'Amato who agrees that the Nave Mosaics might represent the Eastern Roman Campaign to restore Valentinian III on the Throne in 425 AD. After all, half the army sunk in the Adriatic (the "Crossing of the Red Sea") and we know the force under Aspar that went overland engaged and besieged Ioannes and Castinus' forces at Aquileia and other cities.

The mosaics represent biblical scenes first and foremost. That's their purpose in the given context. Drawing parallels to contemporary events – on a fairly general level even – seems rather artificial, to be honest.
Tilman

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Linothoraxes" in the army of Aetius? - by Lupianus - 04-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army of Aetius at Chalons Mrbsct 32 8,074 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs