Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goffredo, RE: Hannibal\'s Crossing The Alps
Salve,<br>
<br>
Resort was in fact made to human sacrifice (a Greek and a Celtic couple) to appease the gods by the Romans of this era. It was however a notable exception to the normal run of things.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Sorry if you're offended Mr. Barca (no relation to Big H himself I hope!). This seems like a predominantly pro-Roman Forum, so you're going to meet with a few disagreements. As far as I know, all non-Romans were Barbarians, at least from a Roman perspective. As far as human sacrifices are concerned, the Romans were appalled by the widespread sacrifice of children (Carthaginian families buying slave children solely for that purpose to save killing their own!). I suppose it is a bit hypocritical when you look at the carnage taking place in the amphitheatres, but it's just a case of two different cultures - like the Americans still having the death sentence and us Brits not (although we probably should).<br>
<br>
If his brother Hasdrubal hadn't died and he'd had more support from Carthage, who knows what Hannibal could have ultimately acheived in Italy. But he didn't. And Zama proved that Roman might and determination eventually ruled the day once more, even if Scipio did have to use 'Hannibalistic' tactics to do it (whoever said the Roman's were inflexible and stubborn?) <p></p><i></i>
Well, the Romans too got into that practice when things got bad. In relation to Hannibal, the Romans sacrificed a few individuals & animals as the man was nearing their gates, hoping to "appease" the gods & make the "barbarians" invasion unsuccessful. By all accounts, it worked. So you could say that the Romans can't throw stones... <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DNA to find Hannibal's route through the Alps Steven James 3 1,647 04-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Alanus