Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"in pace recepti"?
Hi I will read carefully the exchange of ideas and info in this debate. I am learning from you guys and will be initially passive. We all know that Arminius was in the Roman Army and it is plausible that he convinced parts of his german auxilliaries to go on the german side. I can even imagine that Arminius' role was not simply that of a coordinator of different tribes or sub-tribes but that he also "tuned" the german performance with info on roman tactics (i.e. he did't simply tell the germans where to dig trenches and make mud traps or what ever). So it is plausible that a certain number of german auxilliaries (cherusci) played an active role. But from what I gather reading it doesn't seem they all (whole units) openly turned against the romans. So I agree with you that your friend is maybe pushing her position is little too far (to imagine the romans on an innocent picknic in the woods is perverse even to a pro-roman like me). Her doubts and alternative viewpoints sound interesting but in my mind they ADD and do not contradict, unless pushed too far, the overall picture of a very complex situation and an unstable germany that the romans were far from pacifying. Ciao for now<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 6/11/01 11:45:42 am<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Messages In This Thread
"in pace recepti"? - by Thiudareiks Flavius - 06-09-2001, 10:25 PM
interesting debate - by Goffredo - 06-11-2001, 08:40 AM
Re: "in pace recepti"? - by Guest - 06-11-2001, 09:06 AM
arminius "defeats" - by Goffredo - 07-09-2001, 04:18 PM
Re: arminius "defeats" - by Thiudareiks Flavius - 07-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Re: arminius "defeats" - by Guest - 07-10-2001, 02:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An argument for the pace and not the cubit Mark Hygate 109 16,642 01-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate