Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Legions of the Same Number?
I've seen maps of the ancient empire that show more than one legion of the same number.<br>
<br>
Does anyone know a good reference for the various numbers, the actual names of the legions, and the places where they were stationed? <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Well, where do we start?<br>
For names and (sadly still mostly barebone) articles on all the legions, check out ROMANARMY.COM! (The Legions -> Unit Histories). It shows a list of all the legions and the first few have been fleshed out.<br>
<br>
As for reading, there's a whole host of books, but among the more accessible are:<br>
- Webster, G., The Roman Imperial Army of the First and Second Centuries A.D. (3rd ed.; Oklahoma 1998)<br>
- Evans, R.F., Soldiers of Rome (Cabin John, Maryland/Washington DC 1986)<br>
- Parker, H.M.D., The Roman Legions (1928, reprint Chicago 1980)<br>
- Le Bohec, Y. The Imperial Roman Army (Eng.ppb.ed.; New York 2000)<br>
<br>
Very thorough, very old and in parts outdated, is Ritterling's article in Pauly-Wissowa's Real-Encyclopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft under the heading Legio. It's in German however!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 7/10/01 8:19:51 am<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Te gratia ado!<br>
<br>
I'll add those books to my wishlist at Amazon.<br>
<br>
As for the German text, I'm a little rusty, but I can probably muddle my way through it. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
I checked out the RomanArmy web site, and now I'm even more mixed up. There are legions of different numbers with the same names, too.<br>
<br>
Why would they do that? <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Tryand get your hands on it. PWRE is usually only found in University libraries. Worry about the German (and Greek and Latin) later!<br>
<br>
Nicknames (cognomina) of legions often reflect the circumstances of their creation, i.e. Gemina (Twin) meaning it had been founded by merging two other legions. Other names reflect the emperor's favourite deity (i.e. Minervia) or the legions qualities (Rapax, irresistible, or Ferrata, 'iron-sides'), or where it had been raised (Hispana). Later names often point to the ruling emperor (Gordiana).<br>
Originality doesn't seem to have been a requirement. However, there are some names, for instance Fretensis, which occur only once. In this case, Fretensis, from Fretum or channel, means 'of the Straits' (of Messina), indicating this legion was probably raised during Octavian's wars with Sextus Pompeius.<br>
<br>
(If Jenny and Sander allow my intrusion on their terrain) Why don't you research the numbering and naming of the legions and write a nice article for RomanArmy.com?<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 7/9/01 9:26:49 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Man, I haven't done any research in over a decade, but I'll give it a shot. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
PWRE is a beast, it scares me everytime I see it. Doesn't every Roman we know of with a public life get a mention and a number if they have the same name as another notable scion of their gens. I leave well alone, my German doesn't go beyond buying cakes and finding my way around airports and bus stations. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
It certainly is that kind of encyclopedia: a good starting point if nothing else. Not for reading for relaxation though.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
One of the best roll-ups is actually in the Oxford Classical Encyclopedia, under "legion." That might actually be available in a local library.<br>
<br>
E EM I like to think of Rapax as "rapacious, greedy, ravenous, voracious" in the sense of devouring.<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Salve,<br>
<br>
That would indeed be nice, but I am not taking the bait and do them myself. The subjects I am currently working on take enough of my spare time as it is to add some legionary histories to the workload. Here is a summary though regarding naming and numbering from the republic to the tetrarchy. The later units will be tackled some other coffee- or lunch break.<br>
<br>
The numbering of units was originally done in the Roman republican army according to the order in which they were levied, the numbers I to IIII (IV) being reserved for the consular armies. Units were raised and disbanded as was deemed fit for the campaigning envisaged with four being the minimum number and emergencies like the second Punic war resulting in an army of over twenty legions called under arms. Units during this time could from time to time be renumbered and it has been suggested that there was a (loose) link between the stations of units and their assigned numeral. In general apart from their number there would be no continuous link or lineage between republican era units of the same numeral named in connection with different campaigns.<br>
<br>
As the Roman republic plunged into civil war after Caesar's crossing of the Rubicon, the various parties each began to raise units according to their own numbering system and numerals began to be duplicated. This period also saw the emergence of unit nicknames, previously absent from the records. Though consuls after the Sullan reforms had lost their function as the main commanders of Rome's armies the customary numbers I to IIII were a popular choice, perhaps for the connotations of legitimacy.<br>
<br>
As the armies of the various civil war parties were merged by Octavianus/Augustus into a new army, some units were disbanded, others were amalgated (those with the <i> cognomina</i> <i> Gemina</i> or <i> Gemella</i>) and others retained. No attempt at all was made to rationalise the currently assigned numbers and nicknames, thought the latter were at this stage rather fluid with some being added and others dropped for no readily apparent reason: for example the <i> legio</i> X <i> Equestris</i> was known a <i> legio</i> X <i> Equestris Gemina</i> before dropping the former epithet.<br>
<br>
In addition to more or less permanently applied <i> cognomina</i> legions could have additional titles conferred, like <i> pia fidelis</i>, dutyful and loyal, for service in civil wars and imperial epithets generally only used during that particular emperor's reign, eg <i> Domitiana</i> (Domitian's own) or <i> Severiana</i>, though the <i> Claudia</i> epithet for VII and XI and <i> Ulpia</i> and <i> Traiana</i> titles of XXX and II were retained afterwards.<br>
<br>
Under the empire various systems and logics were applied to naming and numbering of units, even within the reign of the same emperor. Thus Traianus raised both a <i> legio</i> XXX <i> Ulpia</i> (indicating the existence of 29 other such formations) and a <i> legio</i> II <i> Traiana</i> (thought to be the second unit raised by the emperor). Overall, there seems to have been no guiding principle governing this process. Some units were disbanded and reformed using the same number, though a different <i> cognomen</i>, while others were reformed after a defeat under the same number and name. The legiones I and II <i> Adiutrices</i> were exceptionally rationally numbered, as were the Severan <i> legiones</i> I to III <i> Parthicae</i>. Other numbers and names seem to be picked at random. At times numbering and naming of units was linked to earlier series of units, the <i> legio</i> II and III of Marcus Aurelius that eventally were named <i> Italica</i> following Nero's <i> legio</i> I of the same name and being followed by a IV <i> Italica</i> in the next century.<br>
<br>
The reign of Diocletianus saw a massive increase in the number of legions, but despite the regularisation apparent in many other of the reforms of this emperor and his collegues, the raising of legions followed several coexisting different patterns rather than a common reasoned appraoch. A number of units were raised named after deities (<i> Iovia</i>, <i> Herculia</i>, <i> Martia</i>, <i> Solensis</i>), geography (ao <i> Noricorum</i>, <i> Parthica</i>, <i> Isaura</i>) or dynastical names (<i> Flavia</i>). The numbers of these units were at times following their own series and in other cases complementing those of existing units to which they were brigaded in a provincial army or following up on an existing series, as the tetrarchic <i> Parthicae</i> did.<br>
<br>
As mentioned above, some have suggested a loose pattern between legionary numerals and their stations during the republic. The same has also been observed for some of the imperial era garrisons, where numbers and names seem to fit some pattern, eg the grouping of units with the <i> cognomen</i> <i> Gemina</i> or sequential numbers like I and II, II and three or XIII and XIIII. There by no means seems to have been an overall rational approach in this though and the patterns or systems may be just coincidences.<br>
<br>
For the references used vide the post by Jasper. The <i> RE</i> article is still a very good starting point despite its age.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 7/10/01 9:39:09 am<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number of legions at Zama Anonymous 78 16,977 09-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Hanny
  The number of legions at anyone time Chance1234 3 1,907 03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell