Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About measurement
Hi to all,
              would you like to help me measurements for the length and width of the components of the
            gladius (blade, guard,grip and pommel? )
            i search many site for all above but could not find it,yes, i have search only  pictures as help here before,
            please give me suggestion about this and thanks in advance.

with best regards-sajid
(03-23-2016, 04:56 PM)SAJID Wrote: Hi to all,
              would you like to help me measurements for the length and width of the components of the
            gladius (blade, guard,grip and pommel? )
            i search many site for all above but could not find it,yes, i have search only  pictures as help here before,
            please give me suggestion about this and thanks in advance.

with best regards-sajid

Hi Sajid, I would suggest getting a copy of "Roman Military Equipment" by M.C.Bishop and J.C.N. Coulston, which is an excellent guide, I do believe theres an updated 3rd edition in the works... Which I'm waiting for....

"the parrallel bladed pompeii type with blade lengths between 420 and 500mm.... and

...widths bettween 42 and 55mm"...

Pommels and guards are slightly larger then the width of blades...

Hope this is some help...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867